480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After my computer crashed last year, I lost a utility app that could capture a .JPG image directly from a 4k video file. I cannot, for the life of me, remember the name of that handy little utility. You just chose a file, then entered the timestamp in the video, and you'd get an 8mb .JPG.

I can do a 'screenshot' with PowerDirector, but it's only 1080 x 1920. I'd like to be able to find that utility again. Anyone?

I use the VLC video playback viewer. It captures JPG, PNG and TIFF. I have only used PNG, so I do not know how good a job it does with JPG. As for the size, it captures in the screen size of the source. This includes anamorphic adjustments. So if your source file is 4:3 but is defined as 1.5x anamorphic, then the captures will be 6:3.

I've tried that, but I can't designate which frame of the video I need to capture.

Movie Maker doesn't even work. I get nothing but a black playback and no audio.

Update: Movie Maker chokes on 4k and it takes several minutes for it to render thumbnails. The snapshot feature only garners 458x248 pixel images.

Solution found: PD19 does the 'screen shot' based on the last used video file production resolution. That's why I was only getting a 1920 x 1080 pixel image... that's the video production resolution I usually use.

If I change that to 3840 x 2160, then edit the video down to the desired frame and do a screen shot of that one frame, it will create a 3840 x 2160 pixel image.

Most reactions

Back