Capture NX 2

Joel_W

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using Nikon's View NX 2, and become quite comfortable editing with it. I'm about ready to move up to the next level. So I downloaded the 30 trial of Adobe's Elements 10, and I did struggle with it at times, never getting that comfortable with it. I'm sure with enough time and effort, I'll get over the hump. But I'm wondering that since I'm so comfortable with View NX 2 if I would be better off going with Catpure NX 2 instead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've been using Capture NX2 for the past couple of years and really, really like it. Once you become accustomed to it you can do a lot with it.

Unlike View NX2 most, but not all, edits are non-destructive. Edits are done using "Adjustments", and each "Adjustment" is added to an edit list. If you don't like the result just turn it off or remove it. Shooting RAW with Nikon gear will really get the best out of it since there are a number of corrections that can only be done to RAW files such as lens correction. Some tools such as white balance can also be done to RAW files just by changing from Daylight to Tungsten, for example.

I bought a book entitled "Nikon Capture NX2" by Mike Hagen (ISBN: 978-0-470-40926-8) that really helped me a lot. Step by step he covered virtually everything NX2 can do and did so in an easily understood manner. I highly recommend it.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

I've been using Capture NX2 for the past couple of years and really, really like it. Once you become accustomed to it you can do a lot with it.

Unlike View NX2 most, but not all, edits are non-destructive. Edits are done using "Adjustments", and each "Adjustment" is added to an edit list. If you don't like the result just turn it off or remove it. Shooting RAW with Nikon gear will really get the best out of it since there are a number of corrections that can only be done to RAW files such as lens correction. Some tools such as white balance can also be done to RAW files just by changing from Daylight to Tungsten, for example.

I bought a book entitled "Nikon Capture NX2" by Mike Hagen (ISBN: 978-0-470-40926-8) that really helped me a lot. Step by step he covered virtually everything NX2 can do and did so in an easily understood manner. I highly recommend it.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Thanks Craig. I certainly. I certainly will. Will be making the move within the next few days.

FYI: You can edit ANY jpeg or tiff in C-NX2, and save it as a NEF. That will not make it a raw file, but it will save the image in the same non-destructive manner as raw files.

FYI: You can edit ANY jpeg or tiff in C-NX2, and save it as a NEF. That will not make it a raw file, but it will save the image in the same non-destructive manner as raw files.
Correct. I may have given the wrong impression in my original post, but that is exactly correct. However, not being a RAW file you will not be able to use any of the "Camera Settings" options on it (they are similar to the in-camera settings that allow adjustment of white balance, picture control, Active-D Lighting, etc.)

Been using Capture NX 2.3 for a few weeks now, and I'm starting to get very comfortable with it. Basic Work Flow makes sense, and there are more then enough special features such as Color Points to make this a solid eiditing program.

Been using Capture NX 2.3 for a few weeks now, and I'm starting to get very comfortable with it. Basic Work Flow makes sense, and there are more then enough special features such as Color Points to make this a solid eiditing program.
I agree. Once one becomes accustomed to what it can do and how to do it the software is capable of doing a lot in a very short amount of time. In my opinion it's one of the more under-appreciated editors around.

Get Mike Hagen's After the Shoot. It is to C-NX2 what Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure is to noobs.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Will be checking Barnes & Noble on the way to work tonight. If they have it great. If they don't, then I'll order it from Amazon when I get home Saturday morning after grabbing a few hours sleep. Thanks again.

I am not familiari with c-nx2. I use a nikon camera with postprocessing using Photomatix, photoshop and NikEffexor plug in. Does nx2 software do different things or the same as what I already am using? Is there an advantage to my getting/using nx2?

Most reactions

Back