Capture NX Help

ricepudding

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can an NX user please tell me how to edit a background, like make a background completely black or white??

I've seen this done in Photoshop. It takes 30 seconds. The lasso tool is used and the program is intuitive at selecting the subject, like the "child" in the picture for instance and you drag your lasso near the outer dimensions of it. But NX doesn't know a thing and you have to have a perfect steady hand to drag around the edges with the lasso tool and then fill your lasso after. I have not been successful at this and think there MUST be another way to select my background, create a layer, and make the background colored. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

You cannot... at least not to my knowledge.

NX is a colour manipulation program, not a picture editing program.

See this thread titled PHOTE EDITING SOFTWARE http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97187&highlight=editing+software

where I asked for advice......

Jerry, why did you say nothing would serve me better than NX and now you say it isn't an editing software. CS3 was out. There is no way I can come up with $650 for it................!!! They are out of their minds. Maybe someone can teach me how to get an illegal version... ;-)

Anyway, sucks to waste $130 on NX I guess. Back to the drawing board. I'll look at Gimp I guess since I don't have a dollar left to my name for photo stuff.

I'll tell you gimp is probably as hard to learn if not harder than photoshop but it is free and I like what I've learned to do with it so far.

NX is photo enhancer/editor, it doesn't manufacture things that aren't there, changing the background from black to white, isn't an edit, its a complete departure from the shot that was taken.
Could do with a clone tool though:grumpy:

CS3 was out. There is no way I can come up with $650 for it................!!! They are out of their minds. Maybe someone can teach me how to get an illegal version... ;-)

Anyway, sucks to waste $130 on NX I guess. Back to the drawing board. I'll look at Gimp I guess since I don't have a dollar left to my name for photo stuff.

It does a lot of editing, but what you are asking is way beyond it's capabilities... and there is one strong factor, I had CS2 installed and played a LITTLE with it within the bounds and the results I had were poor compared to the ease with which I could put out excellent quality pics and convert them from RAW to JPG in NX. There are stil things it can do that CS3 cannot, such as easily convert the WB directly within the RAW picture.

Did you find that thread about how I went to CS3? I found a CS2 CD in a garage sale for $5... and upgraded to CS3 for $199. CS2 and NX serve way different purposes and I still really like NX for what it does, but if you are now trying to get into advanced picture editing, and not just colour manipulation, CS3 is what you want.

I do not advocate the distributution of illegal or unpaid for software.

Most reactions

Back