Capturing Audio At Church Service

Aaron_1980

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, hope this is an ok place to post this. I was just wondering if I could get some help from anyone that would be willing.

I will be filming a church service tomorrow, this was very short notice. And although they are not that concerned with the audio since the video is mainly for archival purposes, I would still like to try and record some decent audio.

Right now I don't know if I'll be able to connect to the PA system(board?), and I've never actually done that before, so I think I basically have three options. Use in camera audio (Sony A7s), use a shotgun mic (Rode Video Mic), or use a Zoom H1. I have to capture the audio from where I'm filming. I'll be panning from one podium to another depending on who's speaking.

I'll be filming pretty much in the center only about 10-15 feet away from the stage. The Pastors are mic'd and the speakers are in opposite corners of the stage with the sound coming towards the audience. There's also speakers behind the audience.

Right now, I'm torn between the Shotgun or the Zoom. Not sure which is the best option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We always pull right off the console. Sometimes just record right at the console and then bring that soundtrack in during post.

Often if a TV crew shows up for some event they just toss a mic over the speaker (back to front so the mic is in front of the woofer) and have that line plugged right into the video camera. I would always use a mic right up against the speaker (usually an SM-57) over trying to grab that sound from a distance with a shotgun.

Another crew that comes in uses three cameras, two in front and one in back or visa versa, have a video mixer and everyone is in communication with ear bud walkie talkies to coordinate the feed, they also pull sound directly from the console but it goes to their video mixer. They also bring a couple video lights on stands, one on each side.

First thing I would do is show up early enough to check with whoever runs the sound to see if you can connect or if they will let you hang a mic. I've usually had to supply the cables and adapters, 1/4" phono is good to have and some mic cables and some RCA and some adapters depending on what your plugging into. That is where a small digital recorder is handy as it stays at the console and no cables across the floor. Do an initial test and then turn it on early and don't turn it off until everything is over.

Most reactions

Back