Capturing Motion

yoballer914

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everybody I am looking to for some advice on "freezing" fast action.

I have had some success in what I am trying to accomplish which is blurring the background and freeze the subject in motion. Like this shot:
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/yoballer914/fourm1.jpg
In that shot the rider is sharp and frozen with the background blurred.

Yet, in similar light and speed this shot:
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/yoballer914/fourm2.jpg
The rider is blurry and so is the background.

Both photos were taken at 1/200s - F/3.5.
I am not sure why i cannot consistently capture motion like photo one.

Any advice is appreciated!

Mike

Did you take those shots hand held or on a tripod?
For the look you're going for, I think a tripod with a pan head is what you need. I don't know how familiar you are with panning, but it's basically turning the camera at the same rate as your subject as you capture the image.

It does take a lot of practice, since you're essentially shooting blind since you can't actually see the subject in the viewfinder as you're panning along with it. The key is to lock on to the speed of the motion before, during and after actually pressing the shutter. It just takes practice, and as you get better at it you can try slower shutter speeds to enhance the effect.

The key to accomplishing you want to do is panning. That will keep the subject sharp and blur the background.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that a great way to practice panning shots is to shoot passing cars. Hope that helps...

Great, thanks for the advice ill give it a try.
These were taken by hand, i am doing my research on a tripod now im sure it will help.
I did try to do some panning, yet i didn’t go to great length to match the speed which is probably the key so i will work on that.
The passing car idea is great, i wouldn’t have thought of that, i hope people don’t think im am up to no good! Thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back