Car Composition C&C Requested

FattyMcJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I got HID lights installed on my car today and I decided to try my hand at some night photography.

These three shots stood out to me, and I'd like to go back and do a re-shoot in a day or two.

Ignore the fact that the car is dirty, I wasn't expecting to get anything good, just taking some pictures for the car forum to show the lights.

1)
threequarter2.jpg

2)
threequarterportrait1.jpg

3)
4408375864_a017ca9f63_o.jpg

Out of the three, which do you like most and why (if any)? How would you recompose the shot?

Oh, and would you expose the car itself a bit more or less, given the bright headlights and other lights? I metered for the front corner of the bumper, in between the lights and a bit back towards the wheel, but that might not have been the right decision for a creatively correct exposure. Hmm...

Thanks, in advance, for your time. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
1. I feel the the front end is to tight and also the car is to low in the pic.

2. To tight and to much wasted space.

3. Alot of wasted space too. The wasted space doesnt add to the picture.

I do like how you did face the rims towards the camera. Keep in mind the rule of thirds. If your trying to show off the new HID's , maybe have the car towards the right and have more of the ligt showing on the ground.

Im new to this so take my thoughts witha grain of salt.

I think all 3 photos have some cropping issues. Also, the lighting effects you have captured are very cool...but...

I don't like how the entire image is in focus. There isn't much going on here except some light sparkles, and the ones in the background kind of distract from the car. When you set up again for a 2nd shoot, try this:

1. A more dramatic angle. Down low comes to mind, add some perspective into the photo.

2. Consider less DoF and blur the background a little.

I agree Browncoat, get down on the ground. Change the perspective. Crop out the lights in the background as they distract from the car.

Sounds like a plan guys, THANK YOU ALL for your input!

I'll post up pics in this thread of the re-shoot ASAP. And I'll wash the car lol

Well, since tonight was supposed to get colder, I decided to retake the photos in the daylight. Taking the crop advice and "Rule of Thirds" advice as best as I know how to apply it, this is what I came up with.

4410480310_c0ccfcc810_b.jpg

Got lower for this shot, as per the advice of Browncoat:
4410480136_a5cba2d617_b.jpg

Not sure how I feel about this one, my kit lens isn't wide enough for what I really wanted but I went ahead and tried it with the rear end missing.
4410019759_e692a12b9e_b.jpg

And last, I always try to take some HDR's when I shoot because I'm still learning how to make them, when to make them, etc. I like this one, but is the angle too much?
4409713967_fd5380c82b_o.jpg

Thanks for your time viewing these! There's a few more on my Flickr if you're interested. :D

Last edited:
Agree with FORCFED and Browncoat - good suggestions.

I really like the results you got on your second set. Especially 2-4.

Looking good! :thumbup:

The down low (in my opinion) is really cool for car shots since it shows where the rubber meets the road and conveys a sense of movement, even though the car is sitting still.

I also like the little sticker of "The Shocker" on your bumper!

Much better. Do you have a CP filter for your lens? If not get one, they are failry cheap. They help with the reflections on the glass and make them more see through.

Remember to number your shots when you post more than two.

Second group:

#1 - crop it tighter, and consider a different aspect ratio. Maybe a more panoramic one. The concrete wall for the background isn't a good choice.

#2 - crop it tighter so there's less ground and less license plate. Very nice anyway though.

#3 - This one is my favorite. I like it as-is, but I'd also try it in B&W with contrast boosted a little. It would work great, since you have a white car.

#4 - I like this one quite a lot. The texture of the concrete wall in this one is more even and less distracting, and it contrasts nicely with the smooth texture of the car.

With that second group, I think you can come out of the beginner's forum maybe.

I like your 2nd set of pictures better because they aren't too tightly framed. I find that incorporating the background helps capture the location and the overall theme you are trying to portray in your shots.

You can check out my flickr to get an idea of some car shots. I've taken plenty as I'm a car enthusiast =)
Collection: ALL CARS

Wow, great shots! Nice Corolla btw! :thumbup:

Remember to number your shots when you post more than two.

Second group:

#1 - crop it tighter, and consider a different aspect ratio. Maybe a more panoramic one. The concrete wall for the background isn't a good choice.

#2 - crop it tighter so there's less ground and less license plate. Very nice anyway though.

#3 - This one is my favorite. I like it as-is, but I'd also try it in B&W with contrast boosted a little. It would work great, since you have a white car.

#4 - I like this one quite a lot. The texture of the concrete wall in this one is more even and less distracting, and it contrasts nicely with the smooth texture of the car.

With that second group, I think you can come out of the beginner's forum maybe.

My apologies for not numbering them. But thank you for the C&C, I'll definitely think about the aspect ratio more next time. And ya, I should have done something with the plate in 2, but didn't have any tools with me to take it off. I think removed would have made it better. We'll see next time :mrgreen: You liked 3? I did too, though I wanted a wider angle lens for this shot, I'm happy with the way it came out. I think 4 is my best HDR to date lol I keep getting better the more times I try HDR's.

And last, wow! Thank you for the compliment! :D

Most reactions

Back