Car Door Mount for SLR?

Otto Pilot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, all, I'm new here, but I need some help. I'm not the photographer, my wife is, but I am her sherpa/chauffeur/cheerleader etc.

My question is this. Since we do a lot of driving through remote areas, she frequently sees wildlife that she would like to use her long EF lenses on. There are numerous times we don't even want to open the door for fear of startling the subject. So, she has to balance to lens on the door frame or the window, usually using a small sandbag. Needless to say, this is not the perfect solution.

Are there any commercially made mounts that will fit onto the door with the window open? I envision a tripod type mount that rests over the door, or possibly some sort of padded vise. Right now, I'm thinking I might have to have something custom made, but I thought I'd ask first.

If anybody has seen such a beast before, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!

Otto

I posted a picture of one of these earlier but I cant find it. A mount to the door or window is way to limiting.. Been there done that. What you really want to do is this..

!. buy a 1lb bag of dried beans.
2. Find a colorful old sock
3. fill the foot about half full.
4. wrap a rubber band around the sock at the ankle. Make the band nice and tight.
5. turn the sock top back over the foot making and even thicker pad.
6. Roll your car window up to a nice comfortable height.
7. Drape the beanbag sock over the window... more inside than out.
8. brace your telephoto lens on the beanbag sock. I guarentee the results or tripple your money back.

If you find this useful please send $1 to the humane society of america.

Fantastic, Midget Patrol!

That's just the sort of thing I was thinking of starting with. Have you actually used them, or are you just a master of the net search?:D

mysteryscribe said:
I posted a picture of one of these earlier but I cant find it. A mount to the door or window is way to limiting.. Been there done that. What you really want to do is this..

4. wrap a rubber band around the sock at the ankle. Make the band nice and tight.
8. brace your telephoto lens on the beanbag sock. I guarentee the results or tripple your money back.

She uses a sandbag, but not as big as you suggest. I will probably buy a mount and make a bag, then let the picture taker make her choice.

Any other good ideas? This is great.

mysteryscribe said:

actually.... "coloursfull bag" isn't a very good idea... better green or grey... not very bright because some animals are afraid of bright things :)

Otto Pilot said:
Fantastic, Midget Patrol!

That's just the sort of thing I was thinking of starting with. Have you actually used them, or are you just a master of the net search?:D
I have the Bogen window mount. It works well but I wouldn't trust it to support a fast/heavy telephoto.

LWW

Most reactions

Back