Car Photography Lens

cnick975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, just need some advice on what lens I should look forward to investing in when it comes to car photography/rolling shots. Right now I shoot with a t4i equipped with the kit 18-135mm STM lens. What lens would be best for this kind of photography.. A prime? Zoom lens? Thanks!

There really is no one 'best' lens. Typically, for action shots, I prefer zoom lenses since they allow me more compositional flexibility. I don't shoot many automobiles, but I find that A combination of an UWA zoom (16-35 in my case) and 2.8 zooms from 24-200 all have their part to play, as does my 85 1.4 for detail shots.

There really is no one 'best' lens. Typically, for action shots, I prefer zoom lenses since they allow me more compositional flexibility. I don't shoot many automobiles, but I find that A combination of an UWA zoom (16-35 in my case) and 2.8 zooms from 24-200 all have their part to play, as does my 85 1.4 for detail shots.

Thank you for the response tirediron, I know there is no "best" lens for any type of photography lol but I was just trying to basically get any idea if a prime or zoom lens would be better. Looking at your response a zoom is preferred. One question though the cars will not always be rolling, they will be static as well and from what I have read prime lenses produce much sharper images but of course you give up the zoom feature.

It depends on the prime lens and the zoom lens in question. With pro-level lenses such as the 24-70 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8, the difference is going to be virtually undectable under normal conditions. At 100% crop, extreme corners and wide open, yes, you might notice a slight lack of sharpness in the zoom compared to a pro grade prime lens, but IMO, the degree of convenience is well worth it.

It depends on the prime lens and the zoom lens in question. With pro-level lenses such as the 24-70 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8, the difference is going to be virtually undectable under normal conditions. At 100% crop, extreme corners and wide open, yes, you might notice a slight lack of sharpness in the zoom compared to a pro grade prime lens, but IMO, the degree of convenience is well worth it.

I did not make this clear but I am on a budget and should've mentioned this earlier. I am looking to spend around $300. Pro level lenses are definitely out of the question. Anything you can recommend around that price range for me?

$300, that's a tuff one. IMO I'm in your shoes, you get what you pay for. Been researching a lot on hear and looking on ebay and craigs list for months. $300 is rate at the point of, "well if I spend another few bucs, I can get a really good lens", but for under 300, your most likely going to get just a slightly better lens then kit. With that said, I would stick with zoom and not prime for moving shots and money.

$300, that's a tuff one. IMO I'm in your shoes, you get what you pay for. Been researching a lot on hear and looking on ebay and craigs list for months. $300 is rate at the point of, "well if I spend another few bucs, I can get a really good lens", but for under 300, your most likely going to get just a slightly better lens then kit. With that said, I would stick with zoom and not prime for moving shots and money.

I mean I could bump up to maximum of $400 but no more than that lol and yeah I think I am going with a zoom lens just not sure which one to get for around $300-$400 price range. Any suggestions?

I dont have one go-to lens when i'm shooting automotive. I try and use my 70-200 f/2.8 as much as I can just because I love it. but if im tight on space i'll use my 24-70 f/2.8 I have a 8mm fisheye I use on occasion. i'll use a 35 f/1.8 every so often. but it just depends on the situation and the car and the location. Definatly want to have a zoom if your doing rolling shots. you don't want your car doing the adjustments that would just be an accident waiting to happen. for your pricerange i'd say just shoot what you have until you can move into some nice glass. You should be able to get good shots with what you have now.

To make top quality car shots you'll also need some lighting, and light modifiers. Since cars are so much bigger than people, cars require more lights and bigger modifiers than are typically used on people.

To make top quality car shots you'll also need some lighting, and light modifiers. Since cars are so much bigger than people, cars require more lights and bigger modifiers than are typically used on people.

Agreed if you want to do night shots. i take out 4 lights with me and tend to use 2 or more. usually 3

So I should also be investing in some artificial light for these shoots as well I see. Photography is one expensive hobby let me tell you. Do you guys think I will be fine for now with the 18-135mm STM lens? Instead of getting a $400 lens maybe I can spend that on lighting equipment. Give me your opinions please. Also no one has really steered me in the direction of which lens to get on my budget I def cannot afford any of the L lenses at this time. That's why I was thinking maybe spend a little money on lighting equipment and save up for the lens in the long run.

Most reactions

Back