Car show photography

chrisv2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I plan on going to the NYC car show (indoors, Javits center) again this year and was thinking about a different lens on my Sony a6000 APS-C camera.

At this show, it's often crowded and you end up right on top of the car to take a picture of it without having a dozen people in the frame.

Do you think a lens like the Zeiss 12mm f/2.8 would be a decent choice? I have used my Sony 16mm f/2.8 "pancake" wide-angle lens but was thinking the Zeiss may give me an edge on width and sharpness.

Am I thinking wrong about that? I have the Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 already as my "walk around" lens, and I love the results I get from it.

I'm not familiar with Sony lenses as far as their IQ, but I would think (hope) a Zeiss lens would edge out a 'pancake' lens. Wide & super-wide lenses are commonly used in automotive photography, and are almost a necessity in an event like this. I'm sure there will be a real Sony shooter along shortly to offer some useful advice.

Its Zeiss optics! What's there to think about? Of course it's going to be awesome glass!!

I shoot a lot of car shows and a wide angle is necessary, especially at a show like that.

I prefer 35mm prime for automotive photography. I am not a professional. However, this prime frames the images well, while gives me a variable degree of slight fisheye or distortionà based on how close I get to the subject. Furthermore,if you back up, body lines merge magically. I noticed that 28 and 50 mm primes are extremes on one or the other. It is rather perfect IMO.

My 3 month mentor used Nikon 45mm pancake lens on auto shoots, his work was legendary.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If your Sony camera has "in Camera" contrast control, bump it up a tad, and sell the Zeiss.

I plan on going to the NYC car show (indoors, Javits center) again this year and was thinking about a different lens on my Sony a6000 APS-C camera.

At this show, it's often crowded and you end up right on top of the car to take a picture of it without having a dozen people in the frame.

Do you think a lens like the Zeiss 12mm f/2.8 would be a decent choice? I have used my Sony 16mm f/2.8 "pancake" wide-angle lens but was thinking the Zeiss may give me an edge on width and sharpness.

Am I thinking wrong about that? I have the Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 already as my "walk around" lens, and I love the results I get from it.

Chris, nobody should have a prime "walkaround" lens. Zooooom!

I don't see anything wrong with a prime walk around lens.

It's not that there's something wrong about a prime walkabout lens, it's just that there is very little that's right about it.

Last edited:

It's not that there's something wrong about a prime walkabout lens, it just that there is very little that's right about it.

Some people like to force them self to use one focal length.

They both have their place.

I also use a pancake prime "walk around" lens for some situations
small, lightweight and it's always easy to crop
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

New Topics

Back