Car Show pics..... C&C Please

artoledo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These were all shot with my D90 and my 18-105mm. Input is greatly appreciated.

63Wag4-1.jpg

BlackWidow1-1.jpg

SwanginBigBody2.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

All of the pictures come off as more of a snapshot taken quickly.
While I can understand that this is a public event and there will be people, many of them have random people or legs in the back that I find distracting.
I also find that the colour isn't very vibrant with odd shadows and reflections in all but #4

1- the angle is a bit too severe
2- the reflections are a bit too much in the car, somewhat distracting. A close up of the hydrolics might of been cool
3- same as 2
4- if you want the woman as your focus, get in closer or at a different angle. I don't like the composition, its too centered. Nice colours
5- Nice colours here too, but Idon't care for the background

All of the pictures come off as more of a snapshot taken quickly.
While I can understand that this is a public event and there will be people, many of them have random people or legs in the back that I find distracting.
I also find that the colour isn't very vibrant with odd shadows and reflections in all but #4

1- the angle is a bit too severe
2- the reflections are a bit too much in the car, somewhat distracting. A close up of the hydrolics might of been cool
3- same as 2
4- if you want the woman as your focus, get in closer or at a different angle. I don't like the composition, its too centered. Nice colours
5- Nice colours here too, but Idon't care for the background

pretty much same...and #4, the end of the car is cut off....try to get it all in the frame next time!

but good job, i enjoyed them non the less...

same here, they're more snapshots with no real composition.

I find it VERY difficult to shoot at car shows because people just won't let you take a photo.

with my little experience, car shows are all about patience.

compose your photo, then wait til the people clear the scene (or ask them to leave because you're taking your photo)

usually organisers don't know anything about photography so it's either an empty background either a messy one, so I prefer to focus on details, rather than trying to take a whole car, with all the sh*t that comes with in the background.

a nice car alone doesn't make a nice picture.

that being said, there's something I like in the processing.

Unfortunately, these shows are always overcrowded with people. Finding time to shoot a car without anyone in it is very very very difficult. I feel as if I overexposed these photos. I did not process them either. This is all straight from the camera. With that being said, thank you all for your input. Is there any other way I can improve my skills aside from the centering and the uncontrolable reflections that come from these shiny a** cars?

You're right, all the pics are overexposed. Were you shooting in auto mode? If you were the meter got fooled. If not, the meter fooled you. That blown out sky, and the lack of tonal depth just scream P&S to me.

You're right, all the pics are overexposed. Were you shooting in auto mode? If you were the meter got fooled. If not, the meter fooled you. That blown out sky, and the lack of tonal depth just scream P&S to me.
Yeah I was in Auto mode. I am still trying to get the manual settings down. Is there any literature that will help me on correct exposure? F-stops, ISO, shutter speed, etc.... Thanks.

Yeah I was in Auto mode. I am still trying to get the manual settings down. Is there any literature that will help me on correct exposure? F-stops, ISO, shutter speed, etc.... Thanks.

Also, can I correct these photos? I am new to Photoshop.
You can click on the link in my signature, 'Basics of Photography' as a start.

I'll work on one of your images in ACR and Photoshop.
Just quick and dirty to give you an idea.

DSC_0476.jpg

3527828658_2dd60f72e9_b-1.jpg

Last edited:
For reflections, get yourself a polarizer and learn to use it. There's not a lot you can do with a crowded car show as far as people and backgrounds. Waiting till your shot is clear is definitely something you should do, I sometimes wait a few minutes at a time for people to clear out enough for a quick shot. Detail shots are good because you're not getting a lot of the 'junk' that's usually in the backgrounds, but you're always going to need full car shots if you're not shooting for yourself. Pay attention to the backgrounds. Sometimes there's not many options, but you might be able to minimize what's there with camera angles or the position you're at relative to the car. Low angles can help in that respect, the car will hide what's behind it.

Good Ideas, car shows are ridiculously hard to get photos at. you could definitely photoshop them to make them look better (i.e. levels, contrast, etc..) just don't do what KmH did. no offense KmH, but that is wayyyyy over doing it. You don't want to over do the picture and make it either hard to look at or look fake. I'll post an example in a second of what I'm talking about.

Most reactions

Back