Carbon Fibre Tripods

Viera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since my last post on Tripods, I have been looking at reasonably easy to carry Carbon Fibre versions (Velbon etc) I also found some of the Chinese variety on the Bay, but just wondered what the general opinion was on any make or model..No Budget Constraint for this, but, it must be an easy manageable weight, thank you
BV

I replaced my aluminum tripod with a Carbon Manfoto Globe Trotter last year. The reasons was weight and size. My old aluminum took up way to much room in my suit case...had to remove the ball and center shaft and place it in the suitcase diagonal. So something had to change. Thats when I bought the Carbon Globe Trotter. It's very compact, only about 2-3" shorter than my old aluminum tripod when set up. It's sturdy as well. Anyhow, I think they run $350-375?

Gitzo are basically generally considered top tripods on the market as a brand.

Below them you get Manfrotto

Velbon and Silk are next, partly because they have some really low grade options, but they've also some very respectable legs now.

To the side you've also got Benbo which are high grade but do odd things (all 3 legs loosen at the same time and its more versatile for position adjustments but fiddly to get used to - some hate it some love it and its good for getting low or working in rougher terrain).

That's for the legs only. Tripod head wise many favour the Arca Swiss system (Kirk also make an identical system that you can use as well or with the Arca Swiss) that has quick release plates specific to tripod collars/bodies. The idea being that unlike regular ones on manfrotto and the like which use rubber to hold in place, the Arca Swiss design uses a plate with a raised edge that connects to the camera so it cannot turn around the locking screw at all.
You can, of course, get an adaptor that lets you use the Arca Swiss system on manfrotto tripod heads.

Tripod heads is more complex, but in general if its Kirk/Arac Swiss or Manfrotto its good.

3 Legged Thing do a very nice range in carbon fibre tripods, from heavy duty to compact travel models. I currently have the 3LT Rick. What I like about it is the centre column can be reversed to allow the camera to get very close to the ground. I also enjoy the fact that one of the legs unscrews and becomes a monopod when combined with the centre column. Very lightweight and compact. UK company too ;)

I replaced my aluminum tripod with a Carbon Manfoto Globe Trotter last year. The reasons was weight and size. My old aluminum took up way to much room in my suit case...had to remove the ball and center shaft and place it in the suitcase diagonal. So something had to change. Thats when I bought the Carbon Globe Trotter. It's very compact, only about 2-3" shorter than my old aluminum tripod when set up. It's sturdy as well. Anyhow, I think they run $350-375?

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Like you I need something that is aircraft travel freindly, so will look at this, thank you
BV

Gitzo are basically generally considered top tripods on the market as a brand.

Below them you get Manfrotto

Velbon and Silk are next, partly because they have some really low grade options, but they've also some very respectable legs now.

To the side you've also got Benbo which are high grade but do odd things (all 3 legs loosen at the same time and its more versatile for position adjustments but fiddly to get used to - some hate it some love it and its good for getting low or working in rougher terrain).

That's for the legs only. Tripod head wise many favour the Arca Swiss system (Kirk also make an identical system that you can use as well or with the Arca Swiss) that has quick release plates specific to tripod collars/bodies. The idea being that unlike regular ones on manfrotto and the like which use rubber to hold in place, the Arca Swiss design uses a plate with a raised edge that connects to the camera so it cannot turn around the locking screw at all.
You can, of course, get an adaptor that lets you use the Arca Swiss system on manfrotto tripod heads.

Tripod heads is more complex, but in general if its Kirk/Arac Swiss or Manfrotto its good.

Thank you, greatly appreciated the info,wil go through all the options on these makes. Just wish my Studi Multiblitz was portable, but, its so heavy, (30lbs) so not really fit for purpose, thanks again
BV

3 Legged Thing do a very nice range in carbon fibre tripods, from heavy duty to compact travel models. I currently have the 3LT Rick. What I like about it is the centre column can be reversed to allow the camera to get very close to the ground. I also enjoy the fact that one of the legs unscrews and becomes a monopod when combined with the centre column. Very lightweight and compact. UK company too ;)

Thanks for this, will have a look at them. I need something thats easy to carry and lightweight, aircraft friendly.....its not easy when carting gear across wild and windy places, and when you need two hands free as well. Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated
BV

No problem and I feel your pain. I'm taking a lot of gear to Canada at the beginning of next month and it's been a real juggling act between my carry on bag and the suitcase. The CF tripod/monopod certainly makes things a bit simpler. I'll leave my cold weather clothing there I think. Then I can cram more goodies in the case next time lol.

No problem and I feel your pain. I'm taking a lot of gear to Canada at the beginning of next month and it's been a real juggling act between my carry on bag and the suitcase. The CF tripod/monopod certainly makes things a bit simpler. I'll leave my cold weather clothing there I think. Then I can cram more goodies in the case next time lol.

Good luck with that, carry on bags seem to be having tighter limits weight wise. My LowePro wouldnt be allowed as its far too heavy, even with the minum of kit it weighs in at 18 Kilos, and the limit is now 5....ish.
I bought a very small hand luggage bag, which weighs next to nothing, put some foam padding in various parts, and can just about get away with it (2 bodies, 3 lenses, few filters, iPad) the rest goes into my main suitcase, which we get 24kgs for, so I can get a reasonable amount of extras in that.... Not sure about the tripod yet?
Obviously clothes take second place....or fill the other half's case up, and get moaned at!!! Enjoy the trip
Regards
BV

I've been reading more photographers using the postal service to get their gear to their destination. If you're going to a reputable hotel then posting your gear so that it arrives before you (or just after you arrive) has worked for many better than going with in-flight options. It's a rather sad state of affairs for the passenger air-lines but its generally true that people are more trusting of high value goods through the postal services than through the airlines (the postal services also tend to treat their packages a LOT nicer than most airport baggage handellers and baggage distribution machines

remember folks .. "No Budget Constraint"

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Like you I need something that is aircraft travel freindly, so will look at this, thank you
BV

this the BEST bar none travel tripod I have ever used. Not carbon but very light, and STRONG.
3Pod P4AFH Aluminum 4-Section FlatFold Tripod with K3 BallHead 3PP4AFH

Most reactions

Back