Careing for a Pro Camera on a Small Boat

Lynx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to go cruising on a small boat in the Bahamas and East Coast USA starting in Nov. One of the things that I wanted to take is a Pro Camera and lens. I am sure that sooner or latter the Camera will get totally soaked with salt water or other crud. Outside of a waterproof case, What is the best precautions?

How does one care for a very badly salt water spashed Pro Camera and Lens?

Is there better cameras than others?
(OK, used)

(OK, used)

Drop it overboard and claim it on your insurance.

On a more pertinent note. 'Pro' cameras have an enormous learning curve and are about as esy to learn to drive as a jet plane. (It took me 3 or 4 months to get comfortable with my D200 and I had migrated from a failry similar cousin,a D70, and had some years of camera experience.)

Photography is both a skill and an art. Unless you have a good amount of experience with both with photography and digital cameras, my suggestion is that you stick with an easier waterproof point & shoot camera. You will end up with much better pictures and much less frustration.

Drop it overboard and claim it on your insurance.

On a more pertinent note. 'Pro' cameras have an enormous learning curve and are about as esy to learn to drive as a jet plane. (It took me 3 or 4 months to get comfortable with my D200 and I had migrated from a failry similar cousin,a D70, and had some years of camera experience.)

Photography is both a skill and an art. Unless you have a good amount of experience with both with photography and digital cameras, my suggestion is that you stick with an easier waterproof point & shoot camera. You will end up with much better pictures and much less frustration.

I have heard this so many times here and still cannot figure out why anyone would say it if you really want to buy a pro camera you can use it like any other camer and set it to P and learn with it. But I guess that was really not the question that was asked was it you did not ask wether to buy a pro camera or a P+S just how to protect it. I will agree with the traveler although on this point if you camera gets truly soaked or splashed pray for the best because water will do damage to most cameras and salt water is even worse so be careful. I have seen on other posts sleeves you can buy that wil protect your camer in the event of extreme weather or getting splashed. Now as far as a case goes Lowepro makes a good soft/hard case that is very waterproof and modular so you can change it's configuration if you want to change what you carry in it. They have different sizes but this is the one I have.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Hard_and_Soft_Shell/classic/Omni_Trekker_and_Trekker_Extreme.aspx

Take along some 1 gallon zip-lock(r) bags. Keep the camera in the bag until it's safe to take it out for a shot.

Welcome to the Forum.

Are we talking film cameras or digital cameras...or does it matter?

For Digital SLR cameras...The Cameras that I would consider to be 'Pro' are weather sealed. Canon 1 series, Nikon D200 & D2H...and I think one of the Pentax DSLR cameras may be weather sealed. This is what I would recommend for a wet boat ride. Also, some pro lenses, like many of Canon's L lenses, are also weather sealed.

You might also want a water proof case to protect the camera when not in use. Lowepro make a line of bags called 'Dryzone'. Or you could get a hard case, something like a 'Pelican case'.

Thanks for the replies. I had an old Canon Silverbody SLR years ago and was doing well enough with it. The picture quality is not the same with the point and shoot. I do not really mind the learning curve. It does not seam that bad although I do not drive jet planes. I can see the problem with getting to know it cold and be able to use 50+ different buttons and 4200 different settings to create a good picture without even thinking about it. Better than the point and shoot option. If I take a bad picture, it will be my problem not the camera's.

I will check into the Lowepro Dry bags and the waterproof cases.

If anybody has anything different, please let me know.

They make water proof 'point & shoot' digital camera and some pretty good water proof 35mm film cameras. They aren't SLR cameras...but they are smaller and lighter and less expensive. Sometimes, on an excursion like this...it's more about being there with your camera than having the best equipment.

I really do not see any reason to be intimidated by a pro level DSLR they all have program modes and if you can afford and justify the purchase to yourself why not. A big selling point in your situation would be the weather sealing. The Lowepro bag that I linked in my first post is a combination Pelican airtight/waterproof case Lowepro soft sided case the soft case goes inside the hard case but can also be used independently wich is how I use mine 90% of the time. For me the hard case is great for travel and situations like the one you face.

Thanks JIP. I looked at the site and do like it. How water proof is the bag?
Does it keep everything dry in a shower?
I also like the waterproof bags as well, will they fit into the box?

Looks very good and sturdy to me.

Do the sleeves work well? Is there some better than others?

Is there better cameras than others?
(OK, used)

Don't let the water splash on the camera in the first place. There isn't a good way to save a heavily salted camera. It's bad enough to have rain and water on a camera/lens, but the salt is a killer.

How about some alternatives? Find an old Nikonos (sp?) Nikon waterproof diving camera. Nice 35mm and made for water. Cool camera. Rinse it off with tap water when you get in from the trip.

Like someone else said, get a disposable waterproof camera.

Pay hundreds or thousands for a waterproof clear case for your camera.

Some of the point and shoot cameras do have waterproof cases available. Not underwater, but water protective. Most say good for down to 10 feet, which means, if you drop it in the water, it won't get ruined. I wouldn't dive with one. Sony is one I've seen. I'm sure there are others. It would cost you less to buy a camera and case, than fix your expensive camera.

If you are going to just pull it out and take some dry pictures, and then put it away, I used to carry my camera, with a towel around it for padding, inside a cooler. If it splashed or rained or whatever, the camera was protected.

My answer to a waterproof camera bag. :p

Thanks for the replies. I had an old Canon Silverbody SLR years ago and was doing well enough with it. The picture quality is not the same with the point and shoot. I do not really mind the learning curve. It does not seam that bad although I do not drive jet planes. I can see the problem with getting to know it cold and be able to use 50+ different buttons and 4200 different settings to create a good picture without even thinking about it. Better than the point and shoot option. If I take a bad picture, it will be my problem not the camera's.

I will check into the Lowepro Dry bags and the waterproof cases.

If anybody has anything different, please let me know.

I'm not sure about a hard case for any waterproof cases but I figure the soft case is relatively splash proof but I would avoid getting it wet especially the inside that is the whole purpose of the hard case. As far as durability goes, I have carried mine to MANY MANY weddings over the 6-7 years I have had it from throwing it into my trunk taking it into the church then to the reception and back home again it has taken tons of abuse and still almost looks like the day I bought it.

Most reactions

Back