Carlos

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Carlos wanted some head shots to be used for his website, social media, acting and all that good stuff. Super nice guy and he ended up hanging out for quite some time chit chatting. Next weekend we are going to shoot in his "studio" for some environmental type portraits. Id love some feed back on what I can improve on or change. We tried a couple different back drops, couple different outfits and he's looking for both B&W as well as color photos. Anything from serious to goofy. Having it so open ended is a bit of a challenge honestly.

Untitled by Shutter_Inc., on Flickr

Should have some more edited soon-ish.

Nicely done. I think a slight adjustment to your key & sidelight positioning might have made them even better however. I think the shadow on the [image] left side of his face is just a bit strong. I think moving your lights just a bit closer would have reduced it a stop or so.

Carlos wanted some head shots to be used for his website, social media, acting and all that good stuff. Super nice guy and he ended up hanging out for quite some time chit chatting. Next weekend we are going to shoot in his "studio" for some environmental type portraits. Id love some feed back on what I can improve on or change. We tried a couple different back drops, couple different outfits and he's looking for both B&W as well as color photos. Anything from serious to goofy. Having it so open ended is a bit of a challenge honestly.

Should have some more edited soon-ish.

in the first image, he has a nice smile, but of course it's unusable as a headshot as it's horizontal. do you have any verticals with a smile and no hat, hair down? the other two, the crop is a bit tight; the top of his head is missing. The shallow DOF in the second bothers me too.

I think the second shot's lighting works the best with the image as shown.Addtl. comments sent via PM.

Thank you guys! I do have more photos to go through that are not as tight, different DoF and also some with smiles. The first image we were after the Cinematic Headshot. Im not overly a fan of that style but thought it came out fairly decent.

@Derrel heading over to the PM

I understand that you don't think it is your place to make suggestions, but if he doesn't know what style he wants, how are you supposed to get the shot? He is all over the board as to facial expression, dress, hairstyle, etc. I think your job would be much easier if somebody at least knew what to aim for.

I understand that you don't think it is your place to make suggestions, but if he doesn't know what style he wants, how are you supposed to get the shot? He is all over the board as to facial expression, dress, hairstyle, etc. I think your job would be much easier if somebody at least knew what to aim for.

I think that is true. He's very much a laid back "whatever you can do" go with the flow kind of guy. Im guessing I should take the initiative and find a single style and just do it. Ill see if I can get him to send a photo or two as examples of what hes looking for too.

He for sure wants the images in B&W. Here are a couple more from the shoot. Any thoughts?

Untitled
by Shutter_Inc., on Flickr

Untitled

Untitled

Glad you added these. btw, I don't care for cinematic headshots either. The first one is almost exactly what I was hoping to see for a standard headshot. (I used to manage camera stores in LA, so I've seen an awful lot of headshots.) The first one has a friendly expression and his hair is down, and that's an important part of his look. A plain shirt would have better, but other than that, this is the one he should be sending to casting directors.

I feel like the compositions in the first set are a little odd. In the first photo I feel like it's cropped too tightly and there's a lot of dead space to the right and his hair is almost cut off on the left. It feels unbalanced.

On the other two it feels like there's too much chest and nod enough head. The cutoff on the top is unusual.

I like the second set much better.

Thank you all for the guidance! If I have the time this evening, there may be another 2-3 that can be edited similar to the second set

Most reactions

Back