Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey TPF'ers!

Today was a beautiful day out in the UCD Arboretum, so I thought I would get out and shoot a bit. There were so many different bees and insects out I decided I'd make shooting bees a priority, especially since I have yet to get a decently sharp shot to date with all their whizzing around. All three were handheld, and both bee shots were composed so you could see the differences between the males and females of the same species. I also got a couple shots off on a few Swallowtail Butterflies, so I tossed one of those in for good measure for you butterfly fans.

Here's what I ended up with, I hope you enjoy them!

P.S: If you wouldn't mind dropping some CC, or even just telling me which is your favorite, I'd greatly appreciate it ;)

Can you say proboscis? by TogaLive, on Flickr

Male Valley Carpenter Bee by TogaLive, on Flickr

Female Valley Carpenter Bee by TogaLive, on Flickr

Best,

Toga

Very nice I'm torn between 2&3 cant decide which I like better.

EDIT:

I think maybe I'm leaning towards 3. Love the gold on its back, Nikon gold ring!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:

But damn the 2nd guy is basically all gold....

Well - #1 is the prettiest, of course.

But I think #2 is my fav!

I really need to get a macro lens! Great pictures!

#2 is my favorite

Very nice I'm torn between 2&3 cant decide which I like better.

EDIT:

I think maybe I'm leaning towards 3. Love the gold on its back, Nikon gold ring!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:

But damn the 2nd guy is basically all gold....

Haha, thanks DorkSterr! I'm equally torn as well! Really glad you enjoyed the shots. Oh and that gold on its back is actually pollen in case you were wondering ;)

#2 is my favorite

Thanks Greybeard! Why did you like #2? For me it was those awesome eyes. I had never seen something like that on a bee!

Well - #1 is the prettiest, of course.

But I think #2 is my fav!

I really need to get a macro lens! Great pictures!

Or if you shoot Canon just pick up the 55-250mm, these were all shot with it. Doesn't quite qualify as macro, but a truly a great all around lens once you get the feel for it ;)

Last edited:
Really, a strong 3 picture set. Picture 1 is my favorite just because it's just such a strong composition.

Really, a strong 3 picture set. Picture 1 is my favorite just because it's just such a strong composition.

Thanks for the comments Joel! I'm glad to know it got your seal of approval :) I still can't quite decide which is my favorite.

Most reactions

Back