Carreer in photography?

WOW, this sure did turn into a hot topic. I understand that how you present yourself is how others see you. I just didn't think I would matter quite yet, so ill work on that.
As far as my current carreer goes im in the auto body industry. Working on cars for a living isnt as cool as TV makes it out to be. I hate it, but it's a living for now. Im just trying to start something else up while im still young. I need something else too look forward too.
I have a decent amount of experience with filming, but photography is what i enjoy most. Like everyone I want to capture my surroundings as accuratly as i see them. Up until now its been all for fun, but i think i may try and pursue it more.
Im in minneaplis, which has a decent art scene. I think ill take your advise and try and get some hands on experience with a pro. Whare would I go about finding one?

Hopefully this post was a little easier to read. I know its no fun reading a 500 word run on sentence!

WOW! I think that is great that you work in the auto body industry. I think that will present you with plenty of opportunities to take great photos. You will be taking pictures of freshly repaired and painted vehicles, as well as many different makes and models.

Your company probably cleans the interiors and everything following repairs? Custom systems and modified cars? Maybe you can photograph a lot of these things during work and submit them to car magazines around the country. They are usually looking for some great pictures to place in their articles.

If your shop also installs modified parts, you can photograph the whole installation, write up your own article as a guide and submit the whole thing to a magazine.

You could keep your job and do some contract work at the same job.

I'm not sure about this, but it's an idea that came to me while reading your post.

Photoslips idea sounds really good.
Maybe try and incorperate a photgraphy side into your current job.
People love their cars, thats for sure.

To get back to the original post:

the only up side to it is that its REALLY good money, but it is hard work.

Not a good reason to change profession ... to make a living from photography is really hard work as well in most cases. It is not easy money.

i know photography isnt something that can be tought, i know there is ALOT of art involved.

For many pro photographers, art is what they do in their spare time. for their customers they do what they want.

so here is whare i stand. i like taking photos(mostly nature/landscape shots) and i love to be outdoors. if i could make a living doing this i would be a happy camper.

So it is fine arts landscape / outdoor photography? Well, that is not really the largest segment in the market. here it is really about art, and you have to have a known name and reputation as a artist so people actually buy your work. Tere can easily lie 5 or 10 years of financial desert in front of you if you chose that path, even if you are extremely talented.

just my thoughts ;)

If you have picked out the various points in the responses, you know that collectively we are not trying to dissuade you from following your dreams, just offering caveats and hard facts.

At work, you might do a "how to" photo history on a specific job that comes through. Though not your 'favorite' subject, all the elements are there for you to see what is involved. Going to the boss and offering to do it on your own time, can't hurt your efforts in both areas.

Not always true. If you sign up with a Photographer's Agent he'll get you the work - and a good accountant will take care of the financial side.
That's how most of the top photographers work ;)

Van, not to disagree, but does this not mostly apply to the big named fashion or commercial photog's? The local studio shooters I know make good money but do it with gorilla marketing and good solid business management. Those who don't, can't compete and die off. I find this to also be true of our local wedding, event, sport, and PJ shooters. None have agents, but most do have good accountants. Those who don't have a significant other who is involved with the books. I suspect most who have agents will be in major markets here and only the top 10% of talent if that. I don't think Larry Peters, Ron Kramer or J & J Woods have agents, but would be considered the top in there respective fields. Then again, things might be a little different on your side of the pond. lol JMHO.

I think PhotoSlip has a great idea.

Although I was good at both Engineering and Art, I chose Engineering b/c of the money. I am somewhat satisfied in my career but I am constantly wondering what would have happened if I chose Graphic Art or something similar instead. It sounds like you're dreaming or thinking like I use to, so I want to encourage you to at least look into it more.

I paid for some of my college education by doing artwork on the side. It wasn't the type of art that I wanted to do, but what the customer wanted. I started doing favors for people and as soon as others saw or heard what I could do, I got a lot of clients including T-Shirt and Sweatshirt design that had a decent paycheck. The opportunity fell before me but I didn't pursue it anymore after I graduated.

I think PhotoSlip's idea may be one of those opportunities you don't want to pass up. It's not the outdoorsy thing you long for, but maybe it's a start or a niche that could be very rewarding!

I'm normally a shy lurker, forums freak me out a bit. But I feel I need to weigh in here. I started my professional career off in Human Resources getting jobs for people. They all went to school and chose their majors at the ripe old age of 18 or 20. No offense to the younger generation, but would you let an 18 year old come into your life and tell you what you are going to do for the rest of it?? Didn't think so. Bearing that in mind I will tell you at a minimum, 50% of the people I recruited were unhappy with the degrees they obtained. They were unfulfilled and THAT SUCKS. Life isn't about majoring in computer science so that you can make 120K a year, it's about chosing a path that feels right.
I am on my third business (one is still in business the other two have shut down), in the process of writing a business plan, and am here looking for advice as to what digital camera to get for it. The point is, find what you love, combine it with what you know and think outside the box. I agree with usayit, there are plenty of ways to incorporate photography into your work life if its what you love to do.

Most reactions

Back