Carry around film camera?

khaki123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I have been shooting my Pentax k-1000 for a year or so and am interested in purchasing a automatic (ish) film camera. I want something relatively compact, simple, and durable that I can take with me wherever I go. I say automatic-ish because, well, an optional manual focus and flash that I can pop up not only when the camera wants to, but when I want to, would be nice. I have looked at the the Olympus Mju-ii, Olympus XA (I've never use a rangefinder before though!), Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 80, and Yashica T3/4/5. These all seem like pretty expensive options though due to all their hype. Your recommendations/ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The Olympus XA is the only one in the bunch that will give you manual focus control and aperture priority. I have one and it is a great pocket camera ... note that there are many of the series ... so I am referring to the original un-numbered.
Using a rangefinder is very easy, and you should be able to get used to using it fairly quickly. The flash is an attachment that screws onto the side ... though I have never used it (since I do not like using flash) and it is not automatically activated.

Those over-sold compacts are fragile and, well, old. Most are unserviceable. You might consider the ultra-compact SLRs: Pentax ME; Nikon FG, Olympus OM series. Tougher, cheaper, more flexible. JCH gets a bit carried away sometimes hyping these once-popular but not-so-durable relics.

The Minolta Maxxum SLRs that were made in the 1990s have the features you mentioned and they can be had for very little money. Such as the ones with "xi" in their name -- 3xi, 5xi, 7xi, etc.

They're not "pocket sized" but they are small-ish (for SLRs) and any real pocket sized point & shoot camera with a manual focus option is going to be pricey.

As with any film camera, be sure it is in good working order (or can be returned if it isn't) before you buy.

One of my buddies swears by his Leica Mini Zoom. And you could have a Leica for less than $100! I had a Minolta TC-1 (and I might still have it... I think I just misplaced it) that I took some very nice pictures with back in the 90s. If you are looking for a compact point-and-shoot, those are good options. I prefer a compact rangefinder camera, like a Canonet, or a Yashica Electro... but these can be a bitspendy these days...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back