Carrying the camera... is it just me?

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I used to carry it with a strap and have it on my shoulder so that the lens pointed outward... which meant it was constantly banging into stuff.

The one day it dawned on me that I could have it so I carried it with the lens pointed INWARD, so it would basically hug my back.

Seems to work brilliantly, but I don't seem to see anyone else doing it.

I carry it on the strap lens out, but when I'm in a crowd and squeezing thru, or anyplace where I'm trying to prevent it from banging into anything I tuck it in close towards me. Or hold it up against my shoulder. But then I'm built different than you boys, so... :indecisiveness:

Yup always carry it inward, That way it doesn't bang into things and seems better balanced to me. I saw a photographer for the Globe carrying it that way at a parade years ago and gave it a try.

Seriously, everyone should try it carried inward. You'd be amazed how well it works.

I carry it slung across my body like a messenger bag. The lens is outward but it's also protected by my arm. Not that I really care if I'm carrying the Holga ;) But another camera? Yeah, I keep it tucked in. And oddly, even though I mostly shoot SLRs and not rangefinders, if the lens is pointed even vaguely towards the sun, I put my hand over it. I guess it's a good habit, though, for the times when I am carrying the Zorki.

I've almost always got a hand on the camera, so there's no bouncing around or flapping about. When I'm walking with a long lens, like out shooting birds, I'll half-turn the camera so it hangs lens down, hotshoe against me.

135-12 years daily behind the back wear.jpg
Over the shoulder and behind the back, inward-facing carrying wear on the 135 DC on the far right...12 years of daily carry, lens front facing inward, with the hood permanently locked in the extended position. Used lens bought in 2004, used by one of my state's most-famous newspaper shooters, bought after he retired. 105 DC, newer, not carried OTS, not used much, recently sold.

I vastly prefer OTS-inward on all teles and longer zooms...just works the best that way.

Most reactions

Back