The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This man managed the carts in the Morning Market in Vientiane. Note his long sleeves and warm hat on a day when I was in shorts anda t-shirt.

Although others might suggest I darken the background, I preferred the sombre portrait of this man against the blinding background of the cart yard.
It really reflects the reality of the dark market against the blazing yard.

This views better against a dark backgound.

What do you think?

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D200
Image Date: 2007:01:18 22:35:07
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 130.0mm (35mm equivalent: 195mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv: 500
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
Comment: (C)L Lorton#p

cartmandsc0406tr5.jpg

It really reflects the reality of the dark market against the blazing yard.

I think that often people forget about reality when enhancing their images (myself included).

I think in a black frame this image works nicely, and the very bright background separates / isolates the man as the main subject. Interesting effect.

one starts to wonder though, what the man is doing, since we cannot see his hands (which I'd like to see.)

one starts to wonder though, what the man is doing, since we cannot see his hands (which I'd like to see.)

You're right.

The lower part of his body was hidden behind a bunch of high tables much closer to the me and were OOF.

This was a non-ideal photo-taking situation with the areas under the shelter in deep shade and the outside about as bright as the surface of the sun. Unfortunately it was not easy to be inconspicuous so I had to take what shot I could get.

BTW, the time was 10:35 not 22:35 (it was a 12 hour time difference from home) I wsan't smart enough to change day/date on camera.

BTW, the time was 10:35 not 22:35 (it was a 12 hour time difference from home) I wsan't smart enough to change day/date on camera.

This always happens to me too! ;)

Why would you wish to be inconspicuous, I photographed many people in Laos and Thailand and never tried to sneak a shot, whats the point, covert ops are for spies not photographers.

Why would you wish to be inconspicuous, I photographed many people in Laos and Thailand and never tried to sneak a shot, whats the point, covert ops are for spies not photographers.

Thanks for looking but I would prefer that the interactions on the thread be kept to the pictures I post.

as far as his hands being cut off, i can imagine what his hands are doing because of all the carts behind him. i think it would look great with a little color boost. i'm seeing his clothing more clearly than i can see his face but maybe that's because of the bright sun. :)

It looks like a snapshot. He has way too much head room, you're cutting off his hands, and he's dead center in the frame. Plus the leaves in the top corners of your frame seem unintentional. I cant tell with this monitor but he seems a touch out of focus... I do like the expression on his face though.

I tried several different crops, but nothing seems to work....

Also tried to extract man and bring background more into play. It's better, but still not a very good overall shot.

When photos of people are shot, I try to look for a story as opposed to just a snapshot. There's a story here, but I not sure how to show it.

Paul

This is hard to look at, it is just way too out of focus.
Better luck next time

luck has alot to do with it. Being a the right place at that perfect moment to capture that perfect shot. Luck has a huge role in it, just as much as you should look at your focus before you snap the picture. You were saying that you had to be sneeky about taking the shot. I was saying better luck not having that same situation next time.

Most reactions

Back