case or no case, used or new camera? Help/suggestions on what to buy

paraclete

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started my dSLR search several months ago, and I've pretty much decided which two cameras/models I'm interested in. They're are a mix of the features I want, combined with a price I can afford. The question now, is, which is a better use of the money?

I have started looking at a Nikon D50, because it has the autofocus in body (as opposed to the d40 or d60). I haven't been able to find if it has a sensor cleaner yet. Its about $350 used, from what I've read. Is buying a used Nikon D50 off ebay a fairly safe bet (if I make sure it is in working condition before I bid on it?), or are they prone to die early deaths?

Second one I was thinking about was a Cannon XS(1000D), $450 new off Cameta, I think. The problem is, I just barely have $450, and of course, I'll need some kind of good, protective case to carry it around in.

My question is not Nikon or Cannon. I've come to the realization that I can probably do whatever I want with either system, and I'm not planning to get into it too deep, for now. My question is how safe is it to buy a used dSLR off ebay (I haven't found the d50 used at any other respectable photography website that I have heard of, though I am sure there are respectable sites that have it that I haven't heard of), does anyone have suggestions for good, protective cases for the above cameras (just basic is fine. I'll get a bigger for more lenses later), and are there any other accessories I should purchase with a camera? I guess I could go without a case, but I am going to a week of summer camp as a counselor for 4-6th grade kids, and I was thinking about bringing the camera along with me, which of course, would require a case.

So, let me sum up what I am looking for answers to:
Used Nikon D50 or New Canon XS(1000D) (brand doesn't matter... Just reliability, and best value for money, brands aside)?
Case or no case (from the day I get the camera)?
Anything else I HAVE to have with a new camera?(I have SD cards, and storage is fairly cheap, anyway)

Thank you everyone! Sorry for the long, confusing post... I'm just trying to make sure I do the right things from the get go. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place... I wasn't totally sure where to put it, and would appreciate it if the mods would move this post, or delete this post, and tell me where the correct place to post this is. Thank you again!

Do you have lenses? The $450 Rebel XS is only the body; no lens included.

I have the D50 so I can speak to that. Not sure about the Canon so I'll pass on that for a Canon shooter.

I love my D50. For an entry level camera it's awesome. It doesn't have a sensor cleaning system though but really... if you're careful you should be able to avoid cleaning it too often. Regardless though it's probably a good idea to learn it at some point so I'm not sure you'll avoid that with either camera.

I'd assume the Canon is largely similar to the Nikon and despite what some people say I really don't think you can go wrong with either.

My advice would be to go for the Nikon and use the $100 for something else. The 50mm 1.8 is around $100 or you could put that $100 into a polarizing filter which I'd consider a must-have for outdoor shooting.

For a beginner I think there's a lot you can buy for that $100 so I'd advise the Nikon for that reason alone.

Do you have lenses? The $450 Rebel XS is only the body; no lens included.

No I don't, good call, thanks. I didn't even notice that somehow. Seems I may need to do some more shopping in that case... Well, regardless, seeing the opinions on this thread is still helpful, even if I need to keep shopping.

edit: I found a refurbished Canon XS for $20 more with lens from Adorama. Is there anything I should be worried about with refurbished? I've heard that refurbished is generally fine (specifically about Apple computers though), but just checking?
Thanks! /edit

Last edited:
I'd be comfortable with refurbished from Adorama or B&H. Call and talk to them and ensure it's in E1, E+ (I forget the codes), but nevertheless... excellent condition.

If you buy used, you might want to check your local Craigslist ads so you can actually see it in person before the money changes hands. Not to say Ebay is a bad outlet for used equipment, but it's a nice feeling knowing your gear works before you give up your cash.

I just bought a D50 with lens off eBay, and it didn't work out for me. Command dial was not functional on the unit, and while the seller responded very well to the issues, I don't think I'll be eBaying another camera.

During the thread though, another poster said he had a D70 and Tamron lens. The link is here:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/167753-d70-body.html

Maybe that'll getcha what you want. I personally went for a new D60 and 18-55 kit lens that I found on sale. Never been much of a fan of buying used digital equipment, and I violated my rule this time. Didn't cost me much besides time and a little aggravation...

I have started looking at a Nikon D50, because it has the autofocus in body (as opposed to the d40 or d60).
:thumbup: Smart thinking.

Depending on your budget, you may want to keep an eye open for a D70 also. Apart from the Adorama, B&H, KEH sites, I would prefer Craigslist rather than ebay because you can actually hold it in your hands before handing over the cash.

Just my 2¢.

+1 for craigslist

I located one D50 few months ago for a friend with lens and camera bag for $250. And it has less than couple thousand clicks.

So check out the local craigslist or kijiji

Ok, sorry for so many questions, but do you all have any suggestions for a lens for a Nikon d50? I am very seriously considering the d50 Dao pointed out on Adorama, but I have no lenses. I do a little bit of everything... I don't have a real specific use in mind right now.

Thanks!

I have the Canon EOS Rebel XS, and I love it.

I bought it off of eBay slightly used, but with no damage (cosmetic or performance wise).

Canon EOS Rebel XS*BRAND NEW SEALED BOX - eBay (item 200351682485 end time Jun-12-09 08:53:49 PDT) right now that one is at 405 US and comes with the 18-55 lens..

I think I bought mine for about 440 US (shipping was 20) and that came with the lens.

But if you are going on eBay, ALWAYS make sure you are buying from a reputable seller with good feedback, and it's even better if they have an ebay STORE with camera equipment because you know it's not just some guy who found a camera, bet it to ****, then sells it.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a D50 and my first lens purchase was a 50mm. I got it off Amazon with a UV filter and a polarizing filter for about 170. I got the 50mm as a starter lens to figure out where I wanted to go from there.

how much did you pay for your D50?
clear.gif

Most reactions

Back