Catalogue / Store

Nesiah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've just been out an taken my very first batch of photos - approx 300. Was actually very relaxing! Im about to take a look at them, but what is the best way to Catalogue them? there any decent software for this? I have PS 6 - but not used it yet

Ive never used that either, so i assume i should DL it?

Lightroom is excellent for editing and cataloging shots, 90% of my photos are edited in there and then the other 10% in photoshop. Adobe currrently run a subscription service for Lightroom and Photoshop CC for $9.99/month which is a pretty good deal IMO, but you can get standalone versions of lightroom as well.

Wow. Photoshop 6 is really old. Ps 6 was released in the summer of 2000.

I bet what you have is CS 6, which is Ps 13.
Adobe called Ps 8 Creative Suite. So Ps 9 is CS 2, Ps 10 is CS 3 ......
If so Photoshop CS 6 includes Bridge 5, a digital asset management application.
CS 6 also includes Camera Raw - ACR or Adobe Camera Raw.
ACR is the same editing application used as Lightroom's Develop module.

Consequently, if you do have CS 6, getting LR will duplicate what you already have for digital asset management and for editing

Image database management software applications use catalogs.
Lightroom's main function is image database management using LR's Library module.

A couple of Lightroom's major limitations are that LR can only open 1 catalog at a time and can only be accessed by one computer at a time (no networking).
Many other image database management applications can open multiple catalogs and can be accessed by several computers at the same time.

If you want to learn more about digital asset management (DAM) best practices I highly recommend the inexpensive book:
The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back