Catch Light Question

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been working with an octagon softbox up close as my main light. Then using 2nd light with an umbrella, a reflector for fill, and the 3rd light for background separation. I like the look, but the catch lights are a little to big. Short of moving the softbox back or modifying the catch lights post, any other suggestions for reducing the size of the catch lights in camera?

If the catchlight is too large in the eye. Need to move the modifier back. That will reduce the diameter of the reflection in the eye. Now if you need to keep the softbox in it's position. Change it's position slightly so it does not produce a catch light. Then use another light specifically for a catchlight.

^^That, or, you can sometimes pull the SB off-axis enough so part of it's hidden in the sclera; it's still visible, but not as obvious.

Personally I tend to like a larger catch-light, but that also means being particular about its shape and position. I recently switched to a parabolic soft box (technically dodecagonal) for this reason.

As others have said, try moving the light further back for a smaller catch-light, or change the positioning for a less obvious one. For example, in the photo you posted here, the lighting is beautiful but looks to be pretty straight-on. With a single light you might like the catch-light better if you moved the light left and up for more Rembrandt-style lighting, possibly using a reflector for fill to camera-right, or simply move the light higher up, possibly with a reflector below to fill under the chin. I'm still learning as well, so hopefully this helps!

Moving it back maybe, but I really like the softness of the light up close and the ratio when paired with the reflector on the fill side. Might try experimenting with moving the SB to the side more then using a small strobe for the catch lights.

@adamhiram in the photo you mentioned, the SB is a 47" Octabox, positioned at about 7:00 o'clock. The chair is angled toward the SB such that the patch on the sleeve of the jacket is pretty much straight on. She is sitting slightly off the corner of the chair. 3 lights were used. In addition to the soft box a small strobe was used to separate her from the background and another light/umbrella combination was bouncing off a high vaulted ceiling. A 42" white reflector was low and angled up slightly on the right side.

Most reactions

Back