Catching a handgun firing

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wish I had spent more time this year shooting the shooting sports (if that makes sense). It's an excellent opportunity to catch fasting moving action. I also need to get more creative when doing these shots...

This is a shot from last weekend. Nothing highly creative, but I like the over the shoulder shot, the unburnt powder in the air above the pistol and the spent cartridge sailing away.

668869168_ZMM2Q-XL.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:
is this using your 1D?

what is that white thing a little up and right of the gun barrel? i'm not sure if that supposed to be part of the photo or not but i think it's distracting if it's not :p

i like the composition... though something is slightly off to me and i'm not too sure what it is... maybe if you had the whole shooter in focus... or maybe if you shot from a slightly higher angle so the gun was backed by the light colored grass instead of the darker trees...

i'm a nubcake so take my words w a grain of salt... but i think the photo would be stronger if the gun/casing "popped" a bit more... not really sure how to do that though :p

That is one fine photo. I like the fact that you got the target in the shot and the pistol is still level. I would try and edit that white bucket on that tree as it is distracting like syphlix pointed out. Other than that I soo want a 1911!

That was another target hanging in the background. :)

On second thought, it almost looks like glasses that are focusing the background.

Did you PS any of the depth of field on this? At first I was thinking it was part of the background that was missed.

I think that's a cool photo. Is it possible to get the bullet in the shot? I wonder what shutter speed you would need for that. It's probably too fast to catch

Thats actually a really nice shot. Maybe drop to F1.8, and make the shutter speed faster though.
I didnt even notice the bucket to be honest.
As for catching the bullet, it IS possible, but with a very expensive high-speed camera.

Thats actually a really nice shot. Maybe drop to F1.8, and make the shutter speed faster though.
As for catching the bullet, it IS possible, but with a very expensive high-speed camera.
You could catch the bullet with a standard camera and a 1/8000 of a second shutter speed. That's not a problem. The bullet isn't moving that fast, it's actually subsonic in this instance.

You would need to time it perfectly as your window of opportunity is a fraction of a second. If you made a switch that fired the camera when the report of the gun shot tripped a sensor, it would be pretty easy. You would also need to use a flash to properly light the bullet I suspect.

From what I remember, you would shoot on B with something like a Mazof sound trigger, linked to a fairly powerful strobe...? to catch the projectile in flight, fairly reliably.

You could catch the bullet with a standard camera and a 1/8000 of a second shutter speed. That's not a problem. The bullet isn't moving that fast, it's actually subsonic in this instance.

You would need to time it perfectly as your window of opportunity is a fraction of a second. If you made a switch that fired the camera when the report of the gun shot tripped a sensor, it would be pretty easy. You would also need to use a flash to properly light the bullet I suspect.

My camera can do 1/8000! haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back