catchlights outdoors

stevenwc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have Nikon D 7000 usually shoot with a 24 70 or 70 200 and I just got an SB 900. How can I achieve good catchlights outdoors using either the 900 on camera or off camera with the on camera flash as my master and the 900 off camera? I have a reflector but I am talking about those days where it is cloudy or maybe no shade is available. Basically, I need to know at what angle or axis I need to place the off camera flash or can I use the 900 on camera to obtain the catchlights?

Catchlights are most preferred at the 2 or 11 o'clock position in the subjects eye. Your OCF needs to be at an angle to achieve this.

p!nK

thanks So should I use the diffuser that comes with the SB 900 and say tilt it at the subject at say a 45 degree angle?? and maybe 45 degrees away from me with the camera??

Basically, I need to know at what angle or axis I need to place the off camera flash or can I use the 900 on camera to obtain the catchlights?
Place the lights to accomplish the lighting effect you want on your subject.

Let the catchlights take care of themselves.

Using light is just like shooting billiards. If the light(s) is high the catchlights are high on the eye.
If the light is directly from the side of the subject, there will likely only be a catchlight in the eye closest to the light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back