Caterpillars

orionmystery

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
orionmystery.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just a couple of caterpillars. My 5 years old Vaio laptop conked and had to be sent in for repair. Not sure if I can get all the data/images back though. On a brighter note, there was still a one month warranty left.

Caterpillar...IMG_4392 by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Geometrisdae, Geometrinae - Dysphania sp.

Dysphania caterpillar...IMG_4424c copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Both natural light shot, 150mm + 1.4x tc, tripod.

kyrontf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Nice, I really like the first one. Best of luck on the laptop, I hope everything can be recovered!

OP
orionmystery

orionmystery

Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nice, I really like the first one. Best of luck on the laptop, I hope everything can be recovered!

Thanks kyrontf. I have most of the raw images in my four CF cards still. Just need time to rePP the images.

The last one looks so alien

Thanks for the comment.

JessicaLynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
i love the first photo, everything is in such sharp focus! Cool looking caterpillar and i like the curve of the plant lol. Number two is odd looking! I've never saw a caterpillar like that before.. I enjoy your pictures :thumbup:

OP
orionmystery

orionmystery

Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
i love the first photo, everything is in such sharp focus! Cool looking caterpillar and i like the curve of the plant lol. Number two is odd looking! I've never saw a caterpillar like that before.. I enjoy your pictures :thumbup:

Thanks, JessicaLynn.

cannpope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Again...GREAT work! I am fixing to get started in some macro work and would love to know a simple, beginner set up for still and in-animate objects. What would be a good start such as flash, a tripod, etc. Budget around $300...if that't even possible.

OP
orionmystery

orionmystery

Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
Again...GREAT work! I am fixing to get started in some macro work and would love to know a simple, beginner set up for still and in-animate objects. What would be a good start such as flash, a tripod, etc. Budget around $300...if that't even possible.

Thanks Carol. Don't think you can get any macro lens for US$300. You should be able to use the 70-200 to photography bigger objects/subjects such as dragonflies, butterflies, caterpillars, flowers etc. Just start using natural light. You might need a set of extension tubes so you can get even closer i.e. achieve higher magnification.

PhotoTish

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The first image is wonderful. That second caterpillar is so weird (in a good way!) :thumbup:

OP
orionmystery

orionmystery

Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit

ReganP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are both so great! That second one kind of weirds me out a little, but in a good way ;) I read the post too quickly at first and I thought you meant that you have a 5 yr old and their laptop broke lol.

OP
orionmystery

orionmystery

Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are both so great! That second one kind of weirds me out a little, but in a good way ;) I read the post too quickly at first and I thought you meant that you have a 5 yr old and their laptop broke lol.

Thanks, Regan. :D..no..my laptop :p

cannpope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

Thanks Carol. Don't think you can get any macro lens for US$300. You should be able to use the 70-200 to photography bigger objects/subjects such as dragonflies, butterflies, caterpillars, flowers etc. Just start using natural light. You might need a set of extension tubes so you can get even closer i.e. achieve higher magnification.

I should have been more clear...I have a macro lens on the way. The budget of $300 would be for tripod, flash, etc.

Most reactions