CC @ Fire Station. My first CC. Wanting to learn.

Deuteronomy316

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The following shots were performed on 7D using various kit lenses (50mm, 18-55, 55-250)

Pict#1 - sharpness and contrast were bumped up while increasing the shadow. This allowed me to hide a lot of the artifacts in the doorway but also lost some information on the axe/bag on the floor.
IMG_4593.jpg

Pict#2 - The colors were slightly desaturated and contrast curve (S-curve) was slightly increased to have a grittier, industrial look or manly-man look.
IMG_4627.jpg

Pict#3 - comparison. This is where I get confused. From what I've read, the top picture is the better picture based on RGB/Histogram curves. However, my eyes likes the bottom picture better. Please, aside from cropping and angle which is the better picture?
IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4765.jpg

Pict#4 - I didn't want to post this one but I'm going to just because I want to know how an artist's mind works. I know by definition, this picture is pretty bad. Soft focus, motion blur, slow shutter speed, etc. But for some reason I really like this picture. So please put on ur artist goggles and let me know what you think. I have some great shots of the dog and this is the worst one but I just couldn't find myself to erase this out of my card.
IMG_4682.jpg

Last edited:
Rule #1: When shooting for yourself, what you like is BEST! Overall, they're not a bad series, and particularily like #2; I think you've captured a good moment there, and the processing works well with that. You probably won't get a lot of reaction to #3 as selective colouring is NOT well regarded, but of the two I would say that the crop in the second is more appealing.

First off im a total noob so ignore if you wish.... I think the first photo looks a little over done imo there seems to be a yellow colour cast, its a great photo other than that though. I agree with tirediron on the other two. If i took the photo of the dog id definitely think id messed it up lol but it certainly seems to convey motion(as the textbooks say) the way the dogs ear seems to have flapped , and it also seems as if his head has moved in a circular motion. Im gonna stick my neck on the line and say the photo works, id be interested to see what the 'experts' say. On the other hand if it works for me and it works for you there must be something about it so who cares??

Yeah, I've read on this forum most are not fans of selective coloring. I realize it is a newbie thing and hesitated posting the pict, but still much appreciated on the critiques. As for the first picture, the colors were not adjusted. In fact, due to the yellowish epoxy floor and the color of the coat brought out the yellow cast. i tried fluorescent filters, fluorescent setting and grey card adjustments and this one actually worked the best (in-camera setting). I will try to color balance with LR4 adjustments and see if it looks any better. And I don't think CC is limited to only select ppl so I appreciate ur CC DaiPK.

I like #2 and how it has like a vintage tone to it. And #3 second photo, looks good. I don't know about the angle..I'm thinking it could be even better from a different angle just not sure which one haha

I like 'em all, really. The first one has a sad "missing man" feel to it, probably because I am NOT a firefighter, and don't recognize the stuff as anything more than generic "firefighter gear". Colors maybe a little popped, but whatever, it's a thing and I think it works. Gives it a sort of comic book feel, almost?

The second has a modern fashion feel to it, due to your processing, and also gets a nice moment as has been noted. We can imagine a lot about the guy from this picture.

The selective color shots, eh. They have a lot of pop, they work about as well as that sort of thing tends to work. I don't think they stand alone very well, but as a part of a series (either a beginning or an ending, maybe, of a set) they could work ok. They're very much "scene setting" rather than a scene in and of themselves, to me.

Love the dog. The softness works, it nails that exact thing that the dog is doing, that sense of the entire dog in motion in all directions at once, and yet staying in one place.

You should be quite pleased with yourself on these.

I like #2. A lot. The only thing I would critique and for you to watch going forward is to avoid cutting off appendages in awkward places (the feet here).

You're off to a great start though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back