CC: NOT MY PHOTOS. I CAMPARE MYSELF TO HER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine has been photographing for a long time. I actually know more about photog. than her but am not necessarily better. She told me that she pretty much always keeps her settings the same and just pp everything in elements. To me, this seemed off but this is what she does. I had asked her what type of metering she was using in a given situation and she didn't even know what that was. For so long, although she is not a pro, I have compared my photos to hers. Here are three. What do you think of this style? She has allowed me to upload these photos. To me, I think they are a little too saturated and unrealistic looking although I can see she is looking to be abstract.

annabananapretty.jpg

zannaner1.jpg

zannaner2.jpg

None of them are good.

1. The composition is bad ... the kid's got got crusty stuff on her nose, her eyes are black... yadda yadda.

2. Bad composition... HORRIBLE skin smoothing.

3. Just a snapshot. Baby's white is blown out.

Find yourself someone more accomplished to look up to.

Can you put these photos in perspective before the critique? Does she have a business? Or is she just taking pictures and having fun on the computer?

ETA: she's not looking to be abstract. She's fixing mistakes that could've been prevented by getting it right in the camera.

I have to agree totally 100% with E.Rose. These are all snapshots and hold no other merit in my honest opinion BUT why are you posting SOMEONE Else's photos here, clearly in violation to site policy as well as immoral.

In all honesty, this actually makes me feel better. I kind of felt the same way but thought that I was by far, worse than her because I hadn't been doing it for long. Her dad is a pro and she aspires to have a career. She is not doing anything now but having fun. Since I joined this site and basically cramming over the past 3 months, I have come to realize that I "know" more. This doesn't mean I take a better pic. There are , by far, pther people I know who are pro' who I really look up to. This was just someone who did it as a hobby and some people have commented positively on her work.

I envision your friend as having a blog for her photography, which has a "Technique" section that reads somewhat like the following. (Please note the use of Comic Sans font...)

Hi! My name is Terri Wilkinson. I'ma mom of three, a loving wife, and a part-time photographer. I love taking pics! Okay, enough about me(for now, that is!), and on to my techniques!!! I shoot everything at ISO 1,000 and f/2.8 at 1/8,000 second. I started off processing allllllllllllll my piccies using Picnik, on the web. You know, Picnik--Photo Editing Made Fun! http://www.picnik.com/ but now, these days, at least for now, I do my pics in Elements.

After that boring step of processing my piccies in Elements (I loves me my Elements!!!), I like to try and find cool effects, or actions, to make my piccies even better-er. I shoot with a Nikon D40, which is a great Six Mega-Pickle cammy! I normally set the effects to Vibrant, which causes the colorz to be so,so,so Vibrant and Pretty! And that's it, that's my techniques section!

From the first post:
She has allowed me to upload these photos

I have to agree totally 100% with E.Rose. These are all snapshots and hold no other merit in my honest opinion BUT why are you posting SOMEONE Else's photos here, clearly in violation to site policy as well as immoral.

The OP has the owners permission and thus there is no conflict with the site terms and conditions; as for morality the OP is not specifically asking for critique on the photos themselves, but on the approach/look presented with thoughts as to how this measures against her own work.

I will however a take a line to remind members to remain respectful to the original artist/photographer who's pictures have been posted.

lol!! lol!! lmao!! A few months ago I would have been impressed with her work but now that I am in the process of learning I realize that the intense colors she captures is purely pp and not even flattering for the pic. I am starting to be able to pin point what is wrong. Whereas I used to think I was light years behind her. I still may be, but at least I am not recognizing more.

I missed that line where the OP stated permission to post her friends work...MyBad :D

Well, she said it was okay. Grantid, it wasn't in writing but I'll take the risk. =)

Trever, I thought you were kidding when you wrote that and put it half in bold and half in red AND italics!!!

Ouch! Glad you not my friend...

I have to say comparing yourself to someone else is not the best habit to get in, especially when they are friends. It sounds like you are rivals more than friends. I also think it will put you in a false sense of accomplishment. A desire to learn is a great thing to have, don't give it up because you beat a friend that isn't competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back