CC please. My sons 6 mth photos

Montanamyst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted anything on here, so probably no one remembers me. Anyway I thought I would come back and start with this photo of my 6 mth old for CC. Please be brutally honest! I want to improve!

Taken with natural window light, left and strobe with softbox, slightly camera right.

Thanks,

Leah

$image-434421686.jpg

Lol.. ok, thought somebody would have followed up with some actual serious commentary by now, but since no one else has...

Just keep in mind though I don't generally give C&C, and people portraits is not something I do a tremendous amount of myself, so advising a grain of salt on all of this but:

For the most part I do like the lighting but toward the top there it does look like his forehead is just a tad washed out, maybe bring the brightness/highlights down just a touch. I'm guessing part of of it is the fairly light background, the whitebaseboard behind him.

While I like the shot itself I probably would have done this a little different from a compositional point of view, maybe moved him a little further to the right of the frame considering his pose. Otherwise really the only other thing that I think I could suggest would be to get lower and try to shoot from his level rather than shooting down - but please realize there is a lot going for this picture, the eye contact in particular is fantastic.

I'll put up with some.

Like robbins said, the positioning of the kid coulda' been a bit better; since he's facing that direction with his body to the right, maybe have him on the right, as said? Although considering he's 6 months old, having him pull off a pose that perfect with the look on his face and his interest in the photographer being incredibly strong, it's a brilliant family photo.

The colours are a tad off on his skin, but it's a decent capture and there isn't a lot you could of done to improve it!

-Joe

It's a nice picture of him, made me smile. Captured his personality I think.

I might have liked to see maybe a little more space above his head, but then again with a colorful patterned background you don't want that to overpower him. That's why as mentioned you might want to try different vantage points to see how the background looks when framing shots, if you want more or less of the floor/wallpaper in your picture.

Keep taking pictures during floor time and get in some practice with your camera before he really gets moving or then it's all over! LOL soon enough he'll be on the move and you'll be on the chase! Have fun.

Thanks guys!! Thanks for the suggestions. I may go back and look at the original and see of I have room to shift it. I normally don't center, so there must have been a reason. This is one of my favorites of him. I'll post some more of his six month shoot soon. Thanks!!

Thanks guys!! Thanks for the suggestions. I may go back and look at the original and see of I have room to shift it. I normally don't center, so there must have been a reason. This is one of my favorites of him. I'll post some more of his six month shoot soon. Thanks!!

All in all it's a great shot. And again I'm not a portrait photographer, at least not normally - but I shoot a lot of animal pics so one thing I discovered early on that helped me out a lot later was to always shoot wider than what I'll actually need. Since can't really pose my subjects either it gives me more options when I crop in post. Hope that helps.

I love the lighting, I feel that the background is too distracting though, he would be better against something plain, a white or cream wall (but what's done is done right?) He is so cute! Great shot

What's with the letter boxing of a horizontal image into a vertical frame thus leaving two huge black boxes on top and bottom of the photo?

What's with the letter boxing of a horizontal image into a vertical frame thus leaving two huge black boxes on top and bottom of the photo?

I had them on Fb and I'm using the mobile app, so I just saved them to my camera roll. I'm to lazy to post from my computer. I need to do that, but I have to resize them because the file is to large.

I had them on Fb and I'm using the mobile app, so I just saved them to my camera roll. I'm to lazy to post from my computer. I need to do that, but I have to resize them because the file is to large.

Sounds like you took a screenshot saving a image to the camera roll will not do that.

Sounds like you took a screenshot saving a image to the camera roll will not do that.
Maybe I did. That particular pic I wanted as my lock screen, so I didn't care about image size. It's been a few weeks ago so I honestly don't remember. The ones on my next thread I saved the image to the camera roll.

Most reactions

Back