CC please

Dragoness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Be gentle! Now I am not so great with pics of PEOPLE as can be seen by my crappy family pics in my other thread. But I personally think I am doing a bit better with nature shots. I just LOVE this one and wanted to see if I am crazy... Do you like it?

What could I have done to make it better? Give me the word! I realize its not GREAT or anything, but I personally love the colors. I took it for one of our group websites, so the point was to show the whole river area.

FallRadiance.jpg

It is not bad at all. It appears that the lighting at that particular time of the day was a bit harsh, so you've got some dark shadow areas that are a bit distracting. The colors are good though. Composition is good, but I think i would prefer that the calm water with the color reflections take up more of the frame. You could achieve that be not including the bushes in the foreground, using a wider lens, and moving in closer to the water. Also, a wide shot with the bushes in the foreground could be interesting too.

What time of day was it taken? What lens did you use and at what mm was it taken?

Thank you. Ican't remember why now but I wanted the bushes in the foreground. I retake this pic yearly usually so next time I will try and do it without the foreground. I wish I had time to run out there today, but 22 people coming on turkey day and my 3 tornados... err kids have made a lot of work for me!
I love to take that pic because we live in a heavily forrested area and not much changes colors in fall. Down by the River everything changes :)

Oh thats the Upper Truckee River in Tahoe Paradise aka Meyers California, next to South Lake Tahoe where I live.

I don't remember the time of day, I think its was about 4:00 pm while my oldest child was in girlscouts at the school down the road. I used my 55mm lens, I am sure it was all the way out but I know nothing about focal length, I need to learn. I do have a wider lens, but its all manual focus so I hesitate to use it because I have vision problems sometimes. We live in the mountains so the sun is often behind the mountains early. I took that pic right before we "fell back" time wise otherwise it would have already been dark. What kind of lighting should I be looking for?

Last edited:
i'd like it a lot more if those bushes werent in the foreground. still a great picture though

Really great picture, the only critique I can see off the bat is that the bushes are a bit distracting and there's few dark areas due to using natural lighting.

I will totally try and get out there for another picture soon, the next one will likely be a winter shot with snow since we are *supposed* to get snow this week. What time of day with what lighting should I try for?

We NEED that snow bad... so if there is bright white snow what kind of light and if there is not snow what kind?

1) get rid of bushes
2) take at dawn
3) ?????
4) PROFIT! (aka darn nice photo)

At dawn? You must think I am a morning Person! LOL, No really but at dawn the sun will be coming from in front of me, is that ok? The picture is facing east.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back