Cedar Waxwings C&C please

benlonghair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm lucky enough to live on a semi-working farm. I was standing in a strawberry patch taking these pics. Waxwings like berries, it seems.

Unfortunatly I don't have an editor that saves EXIF data after cropping. I'll detail it as much as possible. Nothing has been done to these photos except cropping.

These are the type of shots I got this camera for, so critiques would be greatly appreciated. I know focus is a weak point for me, and I'm trying to learn to effectively bracket focus. (If that's the right term.)

All are taken with a Nikon D60 with a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR. (I must say this is an amazing piece of glass. The VR is the most awesome thing ever.)

1. 300mm, f/5.6, 1/400, 0 EV, ISO 400, Manual mode, Auto/Manual focus

waxwing.jpg

2. 300mm, f/7.1, 1/1000, 0 EV, ISO 400, Manual mode, Auto/Manual focus

2waxwings.jpg

3. 300mm, f/5.6, 1/400, 0 EV, ISO 400, Manual mode, Auto/Manual focus
(I'm kinda disappointed about the branch through his head. :()

waxwing2.jpg

EXIF please, when I check is says "none on image".

I'm pretty new to this. I need to download a better editor software. I'm currently using a VERY old version of Photoshop (ver 5.0). Going to try GIMP this afternoon. Here's the uncropped version of the two birds (which is my favorite):

EDIT: OK, downloaded GIMP and it does seem to save the data. Here's recrops. Don't like these as much as the original crops, but whatever.

waxwingrecrop2.jpg

2waxwingsrecrop.jpg

waxwingrecrop.jpg

Last edited:
3. 300mm, f/5.6, 1/400, 0 EV, ISO 400, Manual mode, Auto/Manual focus
(I'm kinda disappointed about the branch through his head. :()

Here you go. Could tweak how the branch ends but it's 10:30pm and bed is calling.

waxwing2nobranch.jpg

these seem a bit soft, like maybe they were cropped a lot? either that or that lens is a bit soft wide open... love the light, though, and the colors on the waxwings...

If you read the entire post you would have seen this.....

Unfortunatly I don't have an editor that saves EXIF data after cropping. I'll detail it as much as possible. Nothing has been done to these photos except cropping.

Nice shots Ben.

these seem a bit soft, like maybe they were cropped a lot? either that or that lens is a bit soft wide open... love the light, though, and the colors on the waxwings...

Both, actually. This was about 7pm with my back to the sun which had just come out after 5 (!) days or rain. I definatly think the light added to the photos.

If you read the entire post you would have seen this.....

Nice shots Ben.

My apologies, I thought information might be available from the Pre cropped shots. I am still trying to learn birds in trees and am interested in all information from people who are already doing it well.

Last edited:
My apologies, I thought information might be available from the Pre cropped shots. I am still trying to learn birds in trees and am interested in all information from people who are already doing it well.

No need to appologise. I'm pretty new to this myself. I was using pretty antiquated editing software before I got GIMP.

I've got a long way to go before I learn to get crisp photos every time and I appreciate anyone who either a) likes my shots or b) has constructive criticism to offer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back