Cell Phones

Kind of a rant here... but lets try and keep it light..

Is anyone else here sick of cell phones? Sure, i carry mine around with me, and yeah, i even use it occasionally, but I went to the Mall of America today, and its just kind of sad to see what our society has become. I stood in one place, and within 5 minutes of watching people, i probably 5 or more people on phones. It seemed that when mobile phones first came out, they were more for business people and just to have in case you had an auto emergency. Now, people are abandoning their children to talk on phones while out with the family. They're distracting everyone from their driving and causing tons of accidents. I dont want to get hit by someone driving while texting their friends just becasue they cant stand to be out of touch with EVERYONE for any amount of time. We outlaw marijuana because its apparently a dangerous substance, and drinking and driving is super illegal, yet right now, the only laws i know of concerning cell phone use while driving, is some states (not sure if its all of them yet) dont allow teen drivers to use phones while driving . I just dont like driving anymore having to watch out for people who dont do it for themselves. Anyone else kind of wish they'd never been invented?

I have one, I rarely use it.....it's the only phone I have too, no need for a house phone.

In the state of New York it is illegle to use a cellphone wile driving with out the use of hands free device, period.

In the state of New York it is illegle to use a cellphone wile driving with out the use of hands free device, period.
I think it's the same in Texas. I agree with what someone else said though, it's not the act of holding a phone that's distracting - it's the conversation. Even with a hands-free device you're not giving your full attention to the road.

yeah, i agree, it IS the conversation, but holding a phone still makes it more dangerous than going hands-free just becasue you either have only one hand on the wheel, or your head tilted all funny to hold the phone. but yeah, i guess i'm still glad that at least SOMETHING is being done. I'm pretty sure that in MN its only a law for people under 18 needing to use a hands-free setup

I think it's the same in Texas. I agree with what someone else said though, it's not the act of holding a phone that's distracting - it's the conversation. Even with a hands-free device you're not giving your full attention to the road.

Yes, I too agree with that as well. I think they figured that was a fair comprimise claiming it no different than having a conversation with passengers.

Franckly it is different.....you don't have to dile the number for the person next to you.....but anywho...

Cellphones are a blessing and curse at the same time. I swear, life was simpler when there were only telephones. I turned off my cellphone when I'm driving. A friend recently got into an accident while using the phone.

I KNOW!!!!

Scares me, too.

...I guess this isn't the time to bring up my excitement about the fact that I'm getting an iPhone in March, is it?
iPhone! I WANT ONE TOO! Stupid sprint contract; one year to go.:(

I got my first cell phone around 2003. I've only had 3 cell phones since that. I don't upgrade, I replace when they don't work any more. I only use Nokia... the best recption and no BS functions.

Around here it's also ilegal to drive and hold a phone... or engage in any activity that hinders your ability to drive...

I have 5 cell phones. Two work in the US and 3 work in the UK. I did briefly consider a tri-band phone that would work everywhere but it just wasn't worth the extra cost.

My US phones - one is on my wife's plan and gives me free calls to my wife. The other is Virgin and gives me cheap calls to my parents.

My UK phones have removable sim cards so I can swop around various phone companies. I used to use One2One because calls within the UK were cheap. I used Cellnet because calls to the US were dirt cheap. I used Orange because calls to Moscow were dirt cheap. I used Vodafone because one day I came back to Britain and just didn't have a working sim card.

I have 3 UK phones - two are very nice and weren't cheap. The 3rd was the one I used to use when out and about in Eastern Europe - it was cheap and if it got stolen I wouldn't have been out by much.

I used to get pestered by employment agencies on my One2One number which is why I took to leaving that phone switched off unless I wanted to make a call.

Incidentally the only contract I ever had was with Virgin in the UK and I quite that after they ripped me off with roaming charges. All my other connections save for my wife's plan are all pre-pay.

As far as phone functions are concerned, I do wish they phone companies wouldn't stuff the phones full of BS. A phone is a phone - not a games machine, internet browser, email device, camera or a jukebox. It's a phone and all I want a phone for is to make telephone calls.

I have 5 cell phones. Two work in the US and 3 work in the UK. I did briefly consider a tri-band phone that would work everywhere but it just wasn't worth the extra cost.

My US phones - one is on my wife's plan and gives me free calls to my wife. The other is Virgin and gives me cheap calls to my parents.

My UK phones have removable sim cards so I can swop around various phone companies. I used to use One2One because calls within the UK were cheap. I used Cellnet because calls to the US were dirt cheap. I used Orange because calls to Moscow were dirt cheap. I used Vodafone because one day I came back to Britain and just didn't have a working sim card.

I have 3 UK phones - two are very nice and weren't cheap. The 3rd was the one I used to use when out and about in Eastern Europe - it was cheap and if it got stolen I wouldn't have been out by much.

I used to get pestered by employment agencies on my One2One number which is why I took to leaving that phone switched off unless I wanted to make a call.

Incidentally the only contract I ever had was with Virgin in the UK and I quite that after they ripped me off with roaming charges. All my other connections save for my wife's plan are all pre-pay.

As far as phone functions are concerned, I do wish they phone companies wouldn't stuff the phones full of BS. A phone is a phone - not a games machine, internet browser, email device, camera or a jukebox. It's a phone and all I want a phone for is to make telephone calls.

Heh..I LIKE that my phone has so many different functions. Might be nice if they made SOME models that were just phones...but don't take away my multi-taskers! :p

Heh..I LIKE that my phone has so many different functions. Might be nice if they made SOME models that were just phones...but don't take away my multi-taskers! :p

Yes... Larger buttons, bigger displays and no funky functions. Just a phone.

Nothing makes my blood boil more than someone on a phone while they drive especially when all of a sudden a car slows down in front of me, 9 times out of ten its someone on a phone, and sorry ladies, you are the worst offenders particularly the 'soccer moms' in the SUV with the kids trying to organize a visit with the girlfriend at the mall. My sister inlaw in the states is just a typical example of this. I even mouth the words "get of the phone" with my hand up to my ear when I eventually ass them to get the message across. Organize your meeting place before you leave and if you have to talk, pull over and have your converation over that coffee. In most places it is against the law anyway just like speeding.

I used to love my cell when I was with my ex and he lived out of state. Nowadays I would rather leave it behind. In fact I did once. I lost it for about 4 months and never really needed it.

But starting next week it is going to be a job requirement that I have mine with me all the time.:confused:

My fiance can't stand people using their cell phones around him. There is a machine you can home make that blocks all reception within 20 feet or so. He has been tempted to build it, although it's illegal most everywhere.

i love my phone(s) but at some places they just aren't appropriate...i listen to my ipod at near full volume at the gym mainly because of the people on their phones...and the people who are on them when checking out or something like that are just some of the most rude people ever...i say screw em

I can't answer my phone while driving. It's in my jeans pocket and I physically cannot retrieve it from my pocket while I'm sitting in the driving seat without getting into wierd contortions.

Most reactions

Back