Cemetery C&C

mdith4him

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I went with my family over Memorial Day weekend to visit Arlington National Cemetery where my Grandfather and a family friend are buried. I took my camera and was pleased with some of the shots I got (especially the ones of my Grandma). It was around 1:00, so the sun was harsh and kept going in and out of clouds, which made getting the settings all "correct" very challenging!! If you have tips for dealing with the sun on days like that, let me know! Also, I'd appreciate comments on my composition. I'm really trying to plan before I click. I played with them a little bit in PP (all I have now is the software that came with the camera). I have a Canon T1i with a kit lens (just ordered a nifty fifty yesterday, though!!). Here are some of my favorites from the day:

1. 1/1600, f/5.6, ISO 400; Maybe too dark around her face?

Grammy.jpg

2. 1/1000; f/5.6, ISO 400

GladysandFlowers.jpg

3. 1/1250, 8.0, ISO 1600; This was before I checked my ISO...why do I always forget that until I've taken 10+ pictures?! Anyway, I like this photo...would it have been better if I got her whole body in the picture? I was trying to get close enough so you could read the gravestone.

GrammyandBubba.jpg

I think #2 is the best shot.

Focal length was 48mm. If you had the opportunity to shoot this at 100mm or 150mm at f/5.6 you would have gotten much less depth of field which would have helped to separate the subject from the background more dramatically.

Thanks, I think #2 is my favorite as well.

Any suggestions for what I can do with my current lens line up? Not that it's a long line...kit lens + nifty fifty.

no 2 is a great shot.

I shoot with the same camera ( : I am still learning how to shoot properly on sunny days as well, it's a huge learning curve. I noticed one thing about the first picture. The subject is clearly looking down/touching something out of the picture, and I think it would have been a more complete shot if what she was focused on was also in the picture. As it is now, your eye is naturally drawn to what she is looking at, but than it leaves you hanging because the picture ends. It leads your eye right out of the picture. But, I do like the second shot a lot!

Bright, sunny, middle of the day? A little fill flash goes a long long way. Hey that rhymes.

1) seems soft
2) great shot! good compsition
3) not doin anything 4 me

I have to agree with eloyie on #1

I think a little fill flash would have improved all these

These shots remind me of this one morning very early while there was still alot of dew everywhere, I saw this young man and his two children praying in front of a head stone. The man was on one knee with his head down while his two young ones stood behind him with their heads down. A figure of an angel was on the headstone kneeling in the same way as the man. The sun was rising almost behind them and the dew was sparkling everywhere. As I drove by the name on the headstone said FAITH. Ive been thinking of that 3 second glimpse a lot. I bring that up cause I think #3 would have looked good with your grandma praying (but I also dont want to make assumptions as to your grandmothers religion beliefs). I also dont want to assume you were instructing your grandma to pose either.

Good shots though!

Thanks for the fill flash idea everyone--I'll definitely try it out next time.

TrueColors: I was just taking pictures of what was happening; I wasn't trying to get anyone to pose a certain way. My Grandma was crouching down to read the headstone (she can't see well, so she has to get up close to stuff to read it). It might have looked nice with her praying, but that's not what she decided to do!

Thanks to all the responses :)

I agree w/ the rest, #2 is my favorite.

When your shooting around noon, with the sun overhead, a polarizer filter is the perfect filter to use. It will cut out the glare and deepen the grass and sky. If you do get a polarizer, get a good one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back