Central Park West

theresav115

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm as much of a newbie as possible when it comes to photography - i think this is my favorite shot from my trip to NYC - any feedback? Thank you!

ry%3D400

Its not really doing it for me, it is too out of focus for me. There is also no point of subject to draw my attention. I think these couple things could have made the picture much better
-Lower vantage point
-higher view to catch the tops of the buildings
-focus a little better
-And I know the traffic is a pain in the ass but the taxi is right in the way and since its yellow it draws my attention and takes away from the picture itself

What is your subject?

What are you trying to "say" with this photo?

Why is this your favorite shot?

What's the cross street?

That's the Dakota so it's got to be 72nd.

I agree about the angle and making sure you get the top of the building. Personally, I probably would have made the "East Side" sign the subject - low angle, closer to the sign, out of focus Dakota in the background but still recognizable. Low enough angle and you don't have to worry about the traffic.

What is your subject?

I liked this photo because I felt it captured a lot of things i think of when i hear NYC- Central Park, Sabret Hotdogs (of course! lol), Taxi's, & beautiful buildings... but maybe thats what makes it not so great, too much going on in one shot?

Its not really doing it for me, it is too out of focus for me. There is also no point of subject to draw my attention. I think these couple things could have made the picture much better
-Lower vantage point
-higher view to catch the tops of the buildings
-focus a little better
-And I know the traffic is a pain in the ass but the taxi is right in the way and since its yellow it draws my attention and takes away from the picture itself

I see what you mean about out of focus, but when i look at the original pic in Photoshop, it seems focused to me. I uploaded this to shutterfly, and then copied the URL. Could that make the pic look different? But thank you so much for the notes!

Some photosharing sites do ruin pic quality but it wouldnt turn some of the pic out of focus, that I believe is just the way the picture was taken. I use flickr and it always keeps the picture quality very high so you may want to switch to that but like I said I dont think it has anything to do with this case.

What is your subject?

I liked this photo because I felt it captured a lot of things i think of when i hear NYC- Central Park, Sabret Hotdogs of course! lol), Taxi's, & beautiful buildings... but maybe thats what makes it not so great, too much going on in one shot?

It's a memory shot - for you. It's tied to memories for you but there is nothing else in the shot that is interesting for people who don't have those memories.
It's a personal snapshot, not a photograph that has any meaning for anyone else.

Thank you guys! :) I appreciate the feedback, it definitely helps and makes sense... Gonna do some research about taking classes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back