CES 2021 Television

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It has been about 30 years since I stopped being interested in televisions. I don't remember when I bought my last one but it was an HD. I think Full HD was around, but I didn't spend the money on that. I'm glad I didn't because I doubt if I have used a TV for more than 10 hours per year over the last 10 years. I don't have the time to watch them. But there are still enough people who buy them that they are still a major part of the Consumer Electronics industry. Since it is believed that some number of people "here" will want to use these devices to view their content, I thought it was worth it for me to see what was happening these days. I could be wrong. . . .

"Samsung at CES 2021: Micro-LED surprises and Q900 QLED NEO",
Posted Jan 6, 2021 by "Digital Trends", [Length 4:31]
""

This sounds like it might be the most promising technology. I have avoided OLED screens because they are subject to "screen burn". Yes, it takes a few years for it to become significant, but it happens. Sony's latest technology should produce TVs that are not subject to screen burn. But it won't be available in "affordable" TVs for a while.

"Sony Launch New Crystal LED (True MicroLED): Up to 1800 Nits on 400" Display (or Larger!)",
Posted Jan 6, 2021 by "HDTVTest", [Length 14:45]
""

This is probably the last link I will post on this topic. Did I learn anything from CES that changes anything I expect to do? Maybe. I already knew that large "wall" screens were going to be used for video backgrounds. Maybe they already have been used. I also know that this is a very expensive thing to do. No surprises there. The development of "8K" video is something I ruled out as unimportant for my personal goals both for my current video production and/or consumption. I do not see anything that changes my mind about that. If you search the Net for discussion about this, you can find proof that "you cannot see 8K". Actually you cannot see 4K. Actually, you cannot see "Full HD". If you want to prove this for yourself, there are proofs posted around the net, or, think about a way to test it yourself. It can be proven.

But there was "utility" in Full HD and even 4K. The "utility" argument does hold for 8K too, but compared to the costs involved, I'll pass. What is the "utility"? Well, if you have a big wall screen, then people can wander around in a party and see different parts of what is on the screen close up as they are chatting with other people. The screen becomes an environmental element -- but it is not something people are actually "watching" as a story. If I want to show a story, then I will still want to use the whole screen so I can direct your attention to what I want you to see. That means people have to back away and let everyone see the whole screen (theatre style). And that means the limits of your vision become relevant again. And that means 8K becomes irrelevant again.

Beyond that, I learned that apparently, LG is making screens for Sony, though I still don't know if they are just making components or the whole thing. I learned that TCL is a growing brand. That seems to be all that I learned that I found interesting. Maybe you'll find more. . . .

"Best TVs at CES 2021 | Samsung Q900 NEO QLED, Sony Z9J, LG G1 OLED, TCL 6-Series, More",
Posted Jan 13, 2021 by "Digital Trends", [Length 7:11]
""

Most reactions

Back