CF card errors?

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, let me just say, I've had two Sandisk CF cards fail on me and cause me to loose my little keep sake shots. Example : Just a little while ago, my 3 year old daughter dressed up in her little tutu, tiara, and little toy heals and said " Daddy, I'm ready for school." She looked adorable, so I took a photo with my phone but wanted to take one with my dslr. So I took it, popped the card into the PC and bam- error. Put the card back in the camera just to see if I can crop in camera and save as a jpeg. I get crazy lines all over the image. That's the second damn effin cf card. :rant over:

Has anyone had better success with lexar cf cards vs Sandisk?

Never had this happen in years of photography and tens of cards.
Do you always reformat card in camera?

Not always. Sometimes on the PC and sometimes in the camera. I've done it before in the camera on the last card and it still happened. I don't use it anymore. This card I used has not been used in 2 months And today I used it and got this crud.

I'm just wondering if there's a difference in brands.

I use both Lexar and sandisk. With 70K shots in the past year, I've never had a glitch with either, but I transfer them to an external hard drive and reformat in the computer after every outing.. I think it is one of those things that can just happen.. I've seen some recovery software out there, but I'm not sure how much it can recover.. I think they do have a life time warranty though, maybe you should try contacting SanDisk?

I use both Lexar and sandisk. With 70K shots in the past year, I've never had a glitch with either, but I transfer them to an external hard drive and reformat in the computer after every outing.. I think it is one of those things that can just happen.. I've seen some recovery software out there, but I'm not sure how much it can recover.. I think they do have a life time warranty though, maybe you should try contacting SanDisk?

So you're suggesting transferring them to a hd or PC rather than uploading to LR straight from the cf card ? It gives me an error but only on certain pics. So, for example, it will import all photos but a message will pop up that says failure to import " file " and then that images is FUBR.

IDK, it works for me.. maybe my workflow is goofy, but after every outing, I put my card in the reader. I rename the folder whatever birds I shot that day like "Osprey, Willet, gulls 7_15" I then copy that directly into my external hard drive. From there I open LR, click library then the + button and import them into lightroom... After lightroom loads them from the hard drive I format the CF Card in the reader and pop it back into my camera...

Let me state up front that I have used Sandisk products exclusively for about 15 years now (starting with early USB memory sticks) and never had one fail. I've learned from others mistakes to not buy easily mimicked/knockoff products on ebay or elsewhere. It's possible you have such a knockoff.

As mentioned above, reformatting the memory card in the camera will ensure that what gets recorded is the way the camera wants to record it, not how Win <whatever> wants to record it. Technically, they should both be the same formatting. Real world may have slight variations.

As far as recovering your damaged/lost memory card, if it's genuine Sandisk, every memory card I've purchased in the last 3-4 years comes with a certificate to download some recovery software and an authorization number to use to validate it. That should be sufficient to do the best possible recovery. There are other software recovery products available as well that probably do just as good, perhaps better, than the Sandisk software.

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to try transferring to the PC before LR and format in the card every time. I've formatted the card already after transferring what I had into the PC. However, its not the entire card that gives me an issue. It's one or two corrupted files. I've used Sandisk for quite some time but this is my first bout with cf cards. As far as authenticity, I bought them from Walmart. I threw out the packaging so I couldn't tell you about recovery software. I am going to have to go out and take a couple of hundred test photos to test out.

Not always. Sometimes on the PC and sometimes in the camera. I've done it before in the camera on the last card and it still happened. I don't use it anymore. This card I used has not been used in 2 months And today I used it and got this crud.
How was the card stored that you didn't use for 2 months? What is the memory capacity of the cards?

The PC has no clue about the format of the FAT (File Allocation Table) the camera will use. NEVER FORMAT A CAMERA MEMORY CARD WITH A COMPUTER.
Are you familiar with the differences between FAT 16 and FAT 32?
Always format the card in the camera after each upload. Do not use the memory card for long term storage. Get the images off the card ASAP.

How was the card stored that you didn't use for 2 months? What is the memory capacity of the cards?

The PC has no clue about the format of FAT (File Allocation Table) the camera will use. NEVER FORMAT A CAMERA MEMORY CARD WITH A COMPUTER.
Are you familiar with the differences between FAT 16 and FAT 32?
Always format the card in the camera after each upload. Do not use the memory card for long term storage. Get the images off the card ASAP.

It was in the camera bag in one of the pouches. I wasnt aware of the differences. I can check when I get home. I did have some images on there that were on there for a couple of months and imported them to an external HD before formatting the card on the PC. Are you suggesting formatting the card with the PC screwed it up?

It's been known to happen because the format the PC wrote is incompatible with the device the memory is subsequently used with.

Always format memory (disk drives, thumb drives, SD/CF cards, etc) using the input device the memory will be used with.

FAT 16 can only be used with memory that has 4GB or less of storage. FAT 32 is for memory devices that have more than 4GB of storage.
That's why I asked what storage capacity the CF cards have.

It's been known to happen because the format the PC wrote is incompatible with the device the memory is subsequently used with.

Always format memory (disk drives, thumb drives, SD/CF cards, etc) using the input device the memory will be used with.

FAT 16 can only be used with memory that has 4GB or less of storage. FAT 32 is for memory devices that have more than 4GB of storage.
That's why I asked what storage capacity the CF cards have.

Sorry! 8GB and that sucks if I effed my own stuff up.

Most reactions

Back