CF card full of wedding photos - through the washer.

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yep, once through the washer in my black pants, and twice through the dryer. I did not have these wedding photos backed up.

Fortunately, this Transcend held up well and the photos came right up.

Whew! Never again will I wait a day before dumping them on my computer. Lesson learned the easy way.

Why was the card in your pants to begin with? Just curious. Glad they were saved, though I would still recommend a better brand like SanDisk, Lexar, or Kingston.

I have sent my thumbdrive and my cell phone through the washer. Nothing ever happened. I still use both. They didn't make it to the dryer though.

Glad to hear it made it through not one, but two cycles on the dryer.

I've heard the tale many times on many forums and always the same result.

If you are intent on destroying the images, running it through the laundry is not going to do the job. From personal experience, dropping the card in a steaming hot cup of coffee (it burnt my fingers getting it out) won't do it either. You're going to have to try something more drastic, a blow tourch perhaps.

You're going to have to try something more drastic, a blow tourch perhaps.
Drop it into the toilet just as you are hitting the handle to flush?

Then again, I have a septic system, so it's still technically recoverable...:confused:

Then again, I have a septic system, so it's still technically recoverable...:confused:

Ahhh yes, but would you really "want" it back? :lol:

That's why more professional grade dSLRs use CF cards, they are extremely resilient, even through water. Its been reported that someone found a card in water for several weeks, plugged it in and it worked fine.

You may as well try it, I read twice today you already tried to ruin your camera and that didn't work.
:lol:

That's why your process should be:
1. Copy files to your computer
2. Copy files from your computer to a backup
3. Put the CF card on the shelf and use a spare

;)

Cool story. Ok... it was not that cool at the time, but these adventure stories are interesting. I mean you can't make this stuff up. I am trying to think of my gnarliest mis hap. Hate to say that it is hard to narrow it down. There were so many. Most of them revolve around the battery on my D1 failing.

Love & Bass

I am notorious for doing this. All my CF cards and memory sticks have been through the wash at some point. What people fail to realise is that these things contain no moving parts. That means while they are not turned on they are virtually indestructible by normal accidents. Water, salt water, hot coffee, none of this makes a difference to a chip that is off. Even running through the oven will likely not kill them, afterall that's how they settle the solder, heat to 280 degrees.

Btw I have cleaned my computer keyboard by taking the keys off and putting it in the washing machine. Oh and I really shocked the first year students when I took my finally completed and assembled thesis circuit board representing nearly a year of work, doused it in mineral turpentine, and started to scrub it, and then held it under warm water and soaped the turps off. The look on their faces was priceless :)

That's why more professional grade dSLRs use CF cards, they are extremely resilient, even through water. Its been reported that someone found a card in water for several weeks, plugged it in and it worked fine.

False. Every other card is equally resilient to water. DSLRs use them because they can due to their large size, and as a legacy item since they were the defacto standard due to having much large / faster storage at the time IBM Microdrive support notwithstanding, and being significantly cheaper than their competition.

That's why your process should be:
1. Copy files to your computer
2. Copy files from your computer to a backup
3. Put the CF card on the shelf and use a spare

;)

lesson learned. yep that's the usual.

Cool story. Ok... it was not that cool at the time, but these adventure stories are interesting. I mean you can't make this stuff up. I am trying to think of my gnarliest mis hap. Hate to say that it is hard to narrow it down. There were so many. Most of them revolve around the battery on my D1 failing.

Love & Bass

I am notorious for doing this. All my CF cards and memory sticks have been through the wash at some point. What people fail to realise is that these things contain no moving parts. That means while they are not turned on they are virtually indestructible by normal accidents. Water, salt water, hot coffee, none of this makes a difference to a chip that is off. Even running through the oven will likely not kill them, afterall that's how they settle the solder, heat to 280 degrees.

Btw I have cleaned my computer keyboard by taking the keys off and putting it in the washing machine. Oh and I really shocked the first year students when I took my finally completed and assembled thesis circuit board representing nearly a year of work, doused it in mineral turpentine, and started to scrub it, and then held it under warm water and soaped the turps off. The look on their faces was priceless :)

False. Every other card is equally resilient to water. DSLRs use them because they can due to their large size, and as a legacy item since they were the defacto standard due to having much large / faster storage at the time IBM Microdrive support notwithstanding, and being significantly cheaper than their competition.

Well, good to see I am not alone. Man this is like a support group!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back