Chaco Cultural National Historical Park

BasilFawlty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just wondering if anyone here has been to Chaco Cultural National Historical Park in New Mexico? They are designated (according to the web site) and an International Dark Sky Site. I was thinking that taking some nighttime photos of the place with the Milkyway might be pretty cool. Just wondering if anyone has been there and can offer any insights?

Several aspects:

One yes alot of photographers have done alot of nighttime images.
The lights from Farmington/Bloomfield are too far and dim to mess up the images and the light from Abq. Rio Rancho is on the other side of the cliff face.

If I remember correctly the Park Service asks for permits for nighttime.

The fav. locations are Pueblo Bonito, Wijiji and Penasco Blanco.

Keep in mind if you dont already know, is to keep the cameras in the car until you get to the Canyon. The area is surrounded primarily by the Navajo Nation and they dont like shots of lokal areas taken.

also, again if you dont already know this... DONT USE THE WORD ANASAZI!!!!!!!

Its an insult!

There are multiple cliff areas to set up and Sun Dagger is a popular point.

there are tons of other places to check out and ALOT of walking!
BRING WATER!!!! LOTS OF IT!

And a first class set of hiking boots.
Plan on staying a while.

Bug spray and dont forget extra everything. The closest place to buy batteries and other items is about 40 min. away.

Additional note:
The cliff face behind Pueblo Bonito if i remember correctly was closed because of loosening rocks.
I have some images of the ruins from above.
There are many walk ways and a few interesting little used areas of interest.
The only thing that sucks is that they paved the road to Pueblo Bonito where when I was there last it was still a dirt trail.

Wow, thanks for that info! I did call them and was told that night time photography could be done without any special permits, except inside "the loop?" area? I probably should visit there in day time and scope it out before planinig any night time activities.

Look at Google Earth and the map.
Thats primarily the road area.

Fajada Butte is Sun Dagger.
One HELL of a walk!

But pay attention to the areas. The park is pretty large itself so some familiarity with the geography is in order.

have fun with it.
its a great place for Med. Format and L Format... LOTS of pictures like that.

OH and watch for the Rattlers. They will let you know if your too close, but stay frosty.

Most reactions

Back