chair

KenC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, my name is Ken and I'm obsessed with chairs. It's not as bad as my obsession with damaged signs, but it's there nonetheless. For those who don't share this obsession, there may not be much to this, but think of it as the first of the "steps."

There's a lot of strong graphical signals in this one, which is good. What's less good is that they're conflicting.

The background is more-or-less in thirds. It's close enough for government work, I "read" it as three regions. The foreground is in TWO regions, which would not be an issue since it's a pretty mild effect EXCEPT that the chair is so definitely in one of the two regions. The chair does NOT occupy the strong rightmost "1/3" region, it definitely (to my eye) occupies the rightmost "1/2" region.

It makes the image a little hard to look at, to me. It's uncomfortable and unbalanced. Is that desirable or not? Your call!

I think with a BROKEN chair it might work well, interestingly. Or with the chair moved to the right about 3 inches.

Great subject. There can be some beautiful form in chairs. I agree, I would change the composition on this one slightly. I like the angle on the chair, but I think I would center it with a slight shift in the background one way or the other. But then I have a bit of a penchant for symmetry.

Thanks guys. Considering the setting I think uncomfortable/unbalanced is a good thing. As for moving the chair I'd have to do it with my foot because there's no way I'm touching anything in that alley.

As for moving the chair I'd have to do it with my foot because there's no way I'm touching anything in that alley.

Oh come on!!! Where's your commitment to the art?!? ;) That's a pretty cool chair for being in such a craphole alley.

As for moving the chair I'd have to do it with my foot because there's no way I'm touching anything in that alley.

Oh come on!!! Where's your commitment to the art?!? ;) That's a pretty cool chair for being in such a craphole alley.

I thought my level of commitment was pretty good just being there, but I may have to reconsider. It is a better chair than I expected to see. I'll have to go back in a couple of months and see how it ages.

Most reactions

Back