Chairs

THORHAMMER

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
thor02-04-2008-IMG_0159chair1.jpg

thor02-04-2008-IMG_0175chair2.jpg

I dig the comp but to be honest "lonely chairs" like this just feels like a cliche

I would agree, it kinda seems like it would be cliche, but I dont actually see many of these shots around here.

Maybye I am wrong and you can point them out to me...

I don't recall if I've seen any on here, and I'm not gonna go rooting around for any. What can I say, it just feels like a cliche.

Im just saying , in order for you to even think that you would have to have seen this a LOT, or hear about it a LOT, or something like that.
to say you feel that way is just a different word.. sorry.

If you have to root around for examples, then its definately NOT cilche,
You know the meaning of the word cliche right ?

http://www.google.com/search?num=10...e:Cliché&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

Related phrases: cliché verre cliché-verre no cliché son of cliché anti-cliché

Definitions of Cliché on the Web:

Wow, did you just post the definition of cliche? Thanks but I know what it means.

When you're asking me for photos of a random subject that may require some looking which I may or may not be in the mood to do. But since it seems you really wanted to know, here's a google image search of "lonely chair": http://images.google.com/images?um=...US:official&q=lonely+chair&btnG=Search+Images

You can do a search for "chair" on flickr and find similar results.

yeah, these are all from stock photo sites.

I wouldn't classify this same as someones art. Not even close.

If thats the case, any photo anyone in here could ever take could be pulled up on google images and everything would be cliche.

If everyone was sharing this in the forum, then I would agree with you.

yea Rob i dont think your proving anything to be honest. You can easily say a subject has been done X amount of times before, but that is not the point. Its HOW the subject is taken that matters thats what makes it different and more interesting in appearance to others, and even gives you a totally different sensation when viewing it.

The first shot for example although not perfect for composition imo, definatly has something very interesting about it.. i like it alot.

Exactly Angel,

I could easily pull up more pics than that of any random phrase
from the same sources. Proves nothing about anything

And, those would mostly be different, there arent as many cliches
as you think when you actually look into the shots not just total numbers
of listings.

I do see a lot of cliches in political messages and stuff like that, but
I just dont see what your getting at.

These are not just photos of a chairs, these are images intended specifically to evoke a lonely, desolate, and/or decrepit atmosphere. We all see an empty chair set up like that and think there's supposed to be someone sitting in it - yeah, it's eerie, and it was cool the first time I saw it. I'm not saying that sort of shot cannot be done and done well, but I do think it is a cliche.

I still stand by my argument that using your logic everything is cliche.

no point continuing , we see it different.

like them both, although i think the background in the first one could be brightened up a bit

Cliche? No.
OUTSTANDING photos? no doubt.
Recognize me as a huge fan of what you're throwing up here.

Most reactions

Back