Champagne Pool

Dude is this in Rotorua? Or more specifically the thermal area (Wai o tapu?) between Rotorua and Taupo?

Oh and I absolutely love the rainbow one, its beautiful!

Dude is this in Rotorua? Or more specifically the thermal area (Wai o tapu?) between Rotorua and Taupo?

Oh and I absolutely love the rainbow one, its beautiful!

Dude this is right behind your house!!!! Haha, I even said to my wife this is Fokkers turf!!

Yep Wai-o-tapu, cost me $60 to get those shots, no licensing issues either ( I checked first...lol).

Actually I used to paraglide the Paeroa ranges and I remember spying some really colourful small lakes from about 2800ft, towards the end of the range heading west, any idea if it s possible to get to these?

Hah, awesome. The whole thermal area lends itself well to HDR stuff I've always thought. I went to Wai o Tapu about a year ago when I was a bit noobish at photography, always felt that I botched that lot of photos. I was just using a 350d and kit lens and no tripod back then, and trying to do HDR for the first time (no tripod HDR = fail). Still, it didn't cost me anything due to my ninja sneaking skills :lol:

I wonder if the small colorful lakes you refer to are the crater lake at rainbow mountain and surrounding area - if so then yeah they are definitely worthwhile visiting.

Here is a shot of one of the colorful pools (not my best work but you get the idea)
4699254266_c3d8fb9e0f.jpg

And one from the top of Rainbow mountain looking East:
4501029001_2e7436abd7_b.jpg

I digg the subjects/locations.

One thing that jumps out at me is your level of saturation of blue in the photos. It is a bit too intense IMHO, especially #3 & 4.3

For real life yes, 3 could do with a desaturate of the blues, the water is kinda bluey grey though.

Anybody jealous of where he lives?

*raises hand*

Quite enamored with #3 and of course the Sea Plane.
Beautiful work!

Thanks Bitter, and you aint seen anything yet!!

All the shots I have posted so far on this forum have been within about 13km of where I live with the exception of these, they are about 80km away.

I need to find the time and money to go on a few road trips to shoot the places I already know about, let alone the 98% of the country I have not seen, I have never even been to our south island, where most of the Lord of the Rings trilogy was shot and it is truly epic for landscapes.

If only I had the time and money......:confused:

Beautiful!! Great job!

Where exactly do you live ROb? I'm guessing maybe Whakatane?

Haha, I wouldnt live in Whakatane if you paid me :p Ohope I could deal with.

Papamoa :)

Not the pools I meant but I didnt know those were there!! Turn right at the pub and into the Waikite Valley? Past the hotpools, Im guessing about 5km along the ridge or so, hard to tell from that height. Might have a look on google earth.

Ninja sneaking skills paid off for you Fokker!

Anybody jealous of where he lives?

*raises hand*
Having been to New Zealand, I'm even more jealous. There's a huge part of me that yearns to go back, though I spent most of my time around the South Island and just in Auckland on the North Island.

I'm having a hard time picking which of my 4.x shots is my favorite. I really like your work. The only technical issue I have is that the horizon in the first picture seems to be slightly tilted clockwise.

Most reactions

Back