Changes in interest

Shinnen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I got into photography about 15 years ago, just after I left work. For a long time I shot anything and everything, focusing mainly on the technical aspects; but now, having achieved some degree of technical ability, I find that honing my skills further no longer holds my interest, and am leaning toward the artistic side of photography. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has gone through this transition, and how they dealt with it.
Thanks,
....... john

I've been a photographer long enough to not really remember, or I guess when I was younger just didn't think about it. But I imagine it took learning how to use an SLR first before getting real creative with it. That makes sense that you need to learn how to use the tools well first before you'd be likely to be good at being creative at it.

Oh yeah, for me it was about 45 years ago, but yeah I think most go through those transitions unless they just stagnate.

It gets harder now.
Skills and technical achievement are easier because there are pathways and standard processes.
Being creative and developing a vision is a solitary effort and it is never over.

Learning to visualize and capture that visualization is the hardest jump for me. When painting, it was easy for me. The strangest and exhilarating thing I have stumbled on is a holga 120...go figure, totally opposite of my first comment...

It gets harder now.
Skills and technical achievement are easier because there are pathways and standard processes.
Being creative and developing a vision is a solitary effort and it is never over.
For me personally it didn't get harder at all, it just became a lot more fun and enjoyable.

Thank you all for your comments. I am finding it hard making the transition. I'm really interested in capturing atmosphere, and this is going require that I change the way I see things.
..... john

Both are ongoing processes. There are always technical advances that require one to learn new things. Some of us shot film for quite a while and then had to learn digital and feel like beginners again. Of course shutter speed and aperture settings didn't change significance, but digital processing vs. developing/printing took some getting used to.

Same with the expressive side because one's interests and experience change. Creative efforts reflect the entire person - experiences, knowledge, reading, interests, even sometimes physical limitations - all of it affects what you do.

Not sure if this will or is something you are looking for ...
if I am feeling a bit jaded and wanting some inspiration I check out this digital photography contest site
DPChallenge - A Digital Photography Contest
Some of the creativity here is simply stunning

Most reactions

New Topics

Back