Changing camera make

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am a hobbyist and currently quite invested in Cano (6D, 24-105 f/4, 16-35 f/4, 70-200 f/4, Sigma 150-500).

Mainly I use camera for street, family photos and landscape. No sports or video.

The problem of noise in photo was pronounced when I started using Adobe LR extensively. It revealed lot of noise while attempting to pull out details from shadows. I read that Nikon is far powerful in this area of Dynamic Range (which appear critical as it affects photo quality) and hence low noise. Reviews also rate D810 much higher than 5D III or 5D IV. Even 6D II is also not rated too high in this area. Canon does not seem to be in hurry to address this issue either.

Now seriously thinking of changing the make of my camera.

Just curious to know that what % roughly one expect to realise from old gear? May be I will start with good Nikon body with 2 lens and then slowly build my kit.

Thanks,

You might get 60% if in good condition, just a guess, but you should try and get hold of a raw file from a Nikon and make sure you're happy with what it does before changing everything

Thanks for the reply and wonderful suggestion. Are there any sights or links available from where we can download full resolution raw files of photo taken through various camera?

Sure, for instance Wesaturate | Free, High-Quality Photos

Unless you NEED that extra dynamic range (which I highly doubt based on your post), it's way too expensive to switch to a different system after you've committed to one, which you already did judging by your collection. 6D is very nice in terms of noise handling and if you have some huge issues with noise, maybe you're just using way too high ISO? From my experience anything under 10 000 is perfectly usable.

Don't forget that camera is just a tool. Nikon has its problems too, don't expect miracles.

Thanks for the reply and wonderful suggestion. Are there any sights or links available from where we can download full resolution raw files of photo taken through various camera?

Simply go to a store like Best Buy and bring your SD card. They will let you shoot lots of pics at different ISO levels and settings using their cameras and lenses and you can shoot in RAW. Take the memory card home and use Adobe DNG or an online raw conversion site like https://image.online-convert.com

or join a local photography club, you can use all their cameras and lenses - lots of fun
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Sure, for instance Wesaturate | Free, High-Quality Photos

Unless you NEED that extra dynamic range (which I highly doubt based on your post), it's way too expensive to switch to a different system after you've committed to one, which you already did judging by your collection. 6D is very nice in terms of noise handling and if you have some huge issues with noise, maybe you're just using way too high ISO? From my experience anything under 10 000 is perfectly usable.

Don't forget that camera is just a tool. Nikon has its problems too, don't expect miracles.

I disagree that the OP's type of shooting does not need higher dynamic range. Landscape is better with large dynamic range. You have the highs of bright white clouds to the lows in the shadows. Landscape needs a high dynamic range. The OP mentioned the D810. Going by DXO testing it has 2 and 2/3 stops more dynamic range than the 6D. That is quite a bit of difference. Will still get noise when pulling detail from the highs and lows. But 2 and 2/3 stops gives you a bit more highs and lows, even before you start trying to pull out more with LR!!

As for used prices. These are retail prices at used sellers. Trade in would be less than half. Selling I would expect about 75% or slightly less. Sometimes you can catch KEH with 15% extra in on trades. Basically easier to sell / trade means less you get.

Canon 24-105 F/4.0 L - EX+ condition is around $600 used retail from KEH.
Canon 16-35 F/4.0 L IS - Is around $800 used retail from MPB.
Canon 70-200 F/4.0 L IS - Is around $800 used retail from KEH.
Sigma 150-500 - $500 used retail from KEH.

Keh.com has an online trade in system. Can input your items and their condition levels and it will give you their trade in prices pending their inspections upon receipt. You don't have to send them the items if the prices are not to your liking.

I have used Canon in the past while also using Nikon. At the time Canon did have better DSLR at multiple levels. I was more invested in Nikon equipment. And could not afford to build Canon, and upgrade Nikon at same time. So, after about 3 years the Canon gear was sold off.

Today I think Nikon has the better performing DSLR's between the two systems. Sony has some good performers and Pentax has a really good full frame camera for low money for what you get. Just by volume Canon is the leader and I guess Sony just took #2 over. But you have to remember Canon has more models for sale at any given time. And people buying them are going by the specs on the side of the box. They don't know they have lower IQ (color rendition, dynamic range) than Nikon, Sony or Pentax cameras (talking entry level and mid level cameras).

@benhasajeep, for landscape you can easily use HDR any time you really need that extra range. For the most part DR is really just a marketing and most people could never really tell a difference between Nikon and Canon. Or do you really think you could tell two images apart and decide which brand was responsible for each image? :) I have yet to find a person capable of that.

It all comes down to one's preferences and knowledge. YOU take the pictures, not your camera. The whole "war" between various brands is utterly pointless and just a waste of time. What will you do if (or better, "when") Canon gets the edge again? Switch back?

Exactly that attitude confuses people and makes them think that switching to a different brand will solve their "problems". I know multiple people who did that and after few months they wanted to go back, because they fell for false advertising. You really don't need that to be able to get nice pictures.

go to mpb.com and get prices for trading in your gear - if you choose this route, that is exactly what you'll get or.... Check B&H and Adorama to see what they're selling used gear for. Split the difference if you're selling it yourself.

Edit to add - make sure you're comparing apples to apples. There are many versions of some lenses. Also the condition of the item plays an important role in resale pricing.

@benhasajeep, for landscape you can easily use HDR any time you really need that extra range. For the most part DR is really just a marketing and most people could never really tell a difference between Nikon and Canon. Or do you really think you could tell two images apart and decide which brand was responsible for each image? :) I have yet to find a person capable of that.

It all comes down to one's preferences and knowledge. YOU take the pictures, not your camera. The whole "war" between various brands is utterly pointless and just a waste of time. What will you do if (or better, "when") Canon gets the edge again? Switch back?

Exactly that attitude confuses people and makes them think that switching to a different brand will solve their "problems". I know multiple people who did that and after few months they wanted to go back, because they fell for false advertising. You really don't need that to be able to get nice pictures.

I fully understand HDR can be used to extend the dynamic range of a camera. But HDR is restricted to still life. In situations where you have moving objects HDR is not possible. So a camera with better dynamic range would be preferable. I agree if cameras are within a stop or less its not much of a deal. But when it's 2-3 stops that is a major difference. Another person posted a pair of pictures not too long ago between 2 cameras. They were untouched and the details in the shadows was night and day (sorry for the pun). Nearly total shadow from the one camera, and the other you can clearly make out the items on the wall that was all shadow from the other camera.

As for changing systems. I don't think the OP is too far invested to switch systems. Now as I pointed out myself and others. It is not feasible for most to use and continually upgrade multiple systems. So, no it's not a good idea to switch systems all the time, unless you have unlimited income.

Nor was I the one who suggest the OP switch systems. Now I do use Nikon and at times can be a fanboy. I try to watch it. In my history I have used Pentax, Minolta, Nikon, Canon, Bronica, Sinar, Cambo, Kodak, Polaroid, and probably several others. So, I am not one to stick to just one system.

But when labs like DXO are independent and use standards to get their results. I put more faith into that than, this brand sells this many so they are better. Or this guy who runs a website says this is better than that.

Last edited:

I totally agree!

But when labs like DXO are independent and use standards to get their results. I put more faith into that than, this brand sells this many so they are better. Or this guy who runs a website says this is better than that.

And, of course, none of it revolves around photography, only tiny differences in camera performance. After the photographer changes systems, his or her images will look just like those made with the former system.

And, of course, none of it revolves around photography, only tiny differences in camera performance. After the photographer changes systems, his or her images will look just like those made with the former system.

I disagree when it comes to nearly 3 stops of dynamic range. 2 2/3 stops is not tiny. It is noticeable to novices, and much more to trained individuals. With 2 2/3 stops of additional range landscapes will look different from one to the other.

Now I admit the advantage from one system may not always be there. And jumping systems is not a cost effective way to go about photography. And it will not turn a novice to a pro over night. But I see no reason if a person wants to change for a better product, and they have the means. Why not? Also many are making the assumption the OP doesn't need or could use the better output, and I think that's not a nice thing to infer without knowing them.

Yep. There is no EZ button.

Usually those looking for image quality improvement by buying gear discover that the issue wasn't the gear and the expenditure was a waste.
The photographer's knowledge and skill, both technical and artistic, is what needed to be improved.

Selling a system seems to be a huge pita. Unless your in a large metro, then it would probably be easier.

If you " need" a 810 for dynamic range ir w.e. just get it and keep your canon gear too. Sell gear after if your not using it. No regrets that way. Anything sitting for 6 months should be sold off anyway and that applies to most everything in life.

If you cant afford the body and a lens then probably dynamic range issue shouldn't be the top of your priority list.

. Anything sitting for 6 months should be sold off anyway and that applies to most everything in life.
I'd be in big trouble if I had to go by the 6 month rule. We have so many likes and hobbies. Sometimes things get pushed to the side for long periods of time. Just in our case we have plenty of room for the items.

Most reactions

Back