Changing to Panasonic

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone thought of changing to panasonic because of the post focus stacking?
If you look this you will see what I mean
Image Stacking with the Panasonic GH4 revisited…speeding things up | Learn Macro
and this
Focus Stacking in the field – becomes a reality with the Panasonic GH4 | Learn Macro

I probably won't do so but it is an idea. My major concerns are
1) Would it work at night - I don't think so
2) I like canon and would have to change everything (I don't really have £1200 to spend without selling)

I have the Em1 mkII and EM5 mkII (I think the EM10 may do focus bracketing as well) and both do focus bracketing up to 99 images, need to use software to stack. The EM1 also has focus stacking and will do 8 images and stack them in camera, no need to process. With the great IBIS of Olympus I have no trouble doing it handheld. You can also set both bracketing and stacking to use a flash so you can do this at night. You will just need a pilot light to do you initial focus.

I have not used the Panasonic but I can HIGHLY recommend the Olumpus with Olympus 60mm macro which is a fantastic lens. Even if you went Panny you should get the Oly 60mm.

I confirmed that the EM10 MkII also has focus bracketing.

I have the Em1 mkII and EM5 mkII (I think the EM10 may do focus bracketing as well) and both do focus bracketing up to 99 images, need to use software to stack. The EM1 also has focus stacking and will do 8 images and stack them in camera, no need to process. With the great IBIS of Olympus I have no trouble doing it handheld. You can also set both bracketing and stacking to use a flash so you can do this at night. You will just need a pilot light to do you initial focus.

I have not used the Panasonic but I can HIGHLY recommend the Olumpus with Olympus 60mm macro which is a fantastic lens. Even if you went Panny you should get the Oly 60mm.
Thanks for that, have you ever done focus stacking with other systems and how does it compare?

Thanks for that, have you ever done focus stacking with other systems and how does it compare?

Other than M43, both Oly and Panny, I don't know any other system that does built-in focus bracketing or stacking.

You should be able to pick up a used EM10 mkII pretty cheap, especially if you wait a couple months when the mkIII comes out instead of selling any gear. M43 is great for macro in the field, small and light weight. My 60mm macro (120mm equiv.) is tiny.

Thanks for that I meant have you ever done non built in focus bracketing?
Were these done using this technology
Dragonflies
and these
Jumping spiders and fly

No I haven't tried non-builtin. To do it properly you would need a rail. I have heard some people do it without a rail moving the camera forwards and backwards from the subject by hand.

Those shots were not focus stacked. Here is the very first one I did to test how it was handheld. This was 8 image stack 1/180, f8 using natural light. The spider was about 4mm.

Jumping Spider by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

Not as sharp as it could be, it was awkward position holding the camera because the spider was on the wall. Also had to wait for it to sit still and I am not completely sure he did. That is the hardest part finding an insect that you can get very close to and won't move for the stacks.

Thanks for that, for reasons which are too boring to say I think I will stay as I am but if I were Canon I would be worried as for new people mirrorless looks a better choice.
(Different for people who already have cameras, for obvious reasons, cost in time and money etc)

Most reactions

Back