Changing video filters in post production?

AKang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I filmed a lot of video on my T3i and I changed back and forth between two different custom Picture Styles while I was filming.
I like the look of the first picture style I used more than the other one. In postproduction, is it possible to change the videos that I filmed with the second picture style, to look like the it was filmed with the first picture style?
They were filmed RAW

What program are you using? Adobe makes a product called Speedgrade which does a lot of color and levels adjustments.

As a rule of thumb it's always good to shoot video with zero effects as it's easier to add them in post than it is to remove them.

They were filmed RAW
I don't think you can shoot video as Raw files with that camera.

The T3i shoots video in the compressed MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video format - T3i Specifications - Movie Shooting - section of the specs - page 291.
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note to that Full HD video shot with the T3i is only 1920 x 1080 pixels at 30 fps, 25 fps, or 24 fps (about 330 MB per minute or about 5.5 MB per second).
None of the T3i Raw file types are 1920 x 1080 px. The closest would be Raw S2 that is 1920 x 1280 px.

The T3i users manual also notes, but most people never read, that MPEG-4 is licensed for personal, non-commercial use only - Page 296.

The T3i users manual also notes, but most people never read, that MPEG-4 is licensed for personal, non-commercial use only - Page 296.

lol

I filmed a lot of video on my T3i and I changed back and forth between two different custom Picture Styles while I was filming.

They were filmed RAW

RAW video just like raw photos would not have a "picture style". Adding a picture style to a photo or video would require processing and RAW files have no processing done.

I don't think you can shoot video as Raw files with that camera.

The only way to shoot RAW video on a T3i would be to hack the firmware and run Magic Lantern on it.

I like the look of the first picture style I used more than the other one. In postproduction, is it possible to change the videos that I filmed with the second picture style, to look like the it was filmed with the first picture style?

You cannot change the picture stye after it is shot, you may be able to make adjustments that make the video look more like the other picture style but that all depends on the picture style it was recorded in.

I agree with runnah to shoot in the most neutral setting and not use the Picture Styles. Did you use Portrait Style? That has a pink tone and you may be able to adjust somewhat in post.

lol

Really? I'll have to check my T4i manual. I don't do commercial filming, but do find that interesting.

MPEG-4 is licensed for personal, non-commercial use only.
Page 341 in the T4i users manual.

MPEG-4 is licensed for personal, non-commercial use only. Page 341 in the T4i users manual.

Something doesn't add up. Perhaps they mean it's not commercial grade? I say this because the mp4 format is the norm for most web based video these days. Heck I've bought mp4 clips from Getty. All of iTunes uses mp4.

Ok read the manual and it seems like if you use h264 and dump out to mov you'd be fine but overall it's seems like a cya from canon.

If not well there are a ****load of filmmakers in trouble.

Also I couldn't find anything online about it relating to canon or lawsuits.

Most reactions

Back