Charging for Photoshoots?

The Don

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay Recently alot of people been wanting me to take pics of there cars and to do some rolling shots etc... and like I still consider myself as an amature because i dont have 100% proper equipment at the moment but plan on getting it soon, and I also still have alot to learn... But i dont think Taking pics of cars wont be to bad for me because i've done alot of car photoshoots already and people were satisfied and spreading my name to there friends. idk if im just ready yet. but what do you guys think? you guys think i should start charging money? and if so how much? Right now All i have is my Nikon D40 with 18-55mm lenses and thats pretty much the stock Lenses that came with the camera. But I plan on getting lenses and a Tripod soon. Or do you think I should wait till i have all my equipment then start Charging money? but yea I never thought about making money off my pics soo soon but Alot of people that i do not know want me to take pics for them and they actually offered me money to do so. and Im kinda new in this so yea what do you think is a reasonable price for me to charge people? and how should i charge them? Get back at me guys This would be really helpfull. Thanks:thumbup:

In my mind, it's a big step to go from shooting friend's cars (or whatever the subject is) as a favour, to making it a business. You need to consider how much to charge, what sort of product(s) you will provide (prints, digital files only), and you will need paperwork; contracts, receipts, and so forth.

You don't want to start a commerical enterprise without all of this worked out ahead of time, or things will just get out of control. You'll also need to look at business licenses, taxes, and a host of other things.

As far as equipment goes, like any photog, I always think more is better, BUT if what you have now is working, than you don't NEED more gear.

What I would suggest is look at your local community education system and see if they have any "Starting a small business" type courses; they might help you a lot. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with working for costs and a few beer.

Just my $00.02 worth; your opinion may vary.

I think reasonable is $100 and hour. That's me and my market with just starting out though.

That's also only for shooting and not for pictures.

You have to decide what's fair for you. Also, make sure you have a contract, regardless of who you're shooting for.

In my mind, it's a big step to go from shooting friend's cars (or whatever the subject is) as a favour, to making it a business. You need to consider how much to charge, what sort of product(s) you will provide (prints, digital files only), and you will need paperwork; contracts, receipts, and so forth.

You don't want to start a commerical enterprise without all of this worked out ahead of time, or things will just get out of control. You'll also need to look at business licenses, taxes, and a host of other things.

As far as equipment goes, like any photog, I always think more is better, BUT if what you have now is working, than you don't NEED more gear.

What I would suggest is look at your local community education system and see if they have any "Starting a small business" type courses; they might help you a lot. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with working for costs and a few beer.

Just my $00.02 worth; your opinion may vary.

Okay thanks for your help guys... I think I have an idea now. good information my friend :]:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back