Charging for prints

McCrackus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry if this topic has been done to death, but most of the pricing info I saw was for time, not per actual print. I've done concert photography for some magazines, and I recently received some interest from an individual who wants to purchase prints of some B.B. King photos that I took. Since the shoot was already done, I can't really charge time, but is there a general going rate per print, based on size? With/without a matte? I'm sure there's some varying in this, but I've never sold a print before so I just want to make sure I'm not ripping someone off (or getting ripped off myself).

I should also clarify that I'm not trying to make a career out of this, it's more of a hobby than anything, but I don't want to give my work away for free.

There isn't one. There are typical prices on photographer's websites. What the average is depends on the size of your sample. I know of a photographer about ten years ago who was selling 10x8s shot in the 1960s, in Cuba, for GBP 1500-2000. He's known amongst (some) collectors but not a famous name. So maybe that's "quality, scarcity (and condition)"..plus a degree of cachet (the photographer).

Are your shots of BB King quality images? Unusual? film or digital? Cover your costs and charge what you feel is appropriate.

Since the shoot was already done, I can't really charge time...
Oh! Who says that you can't?

..... but is there a general going rate per print, based on size? With/without a matte? I
No, but the bigger prints get, and the more work involved with print presentation, like a mount, mat, and frame, the higher the cost to the buyer.

I should also clarify that I'm not trying to make a career out of this, it's more of a hobby than anything, but I don't want to give my work away for free.
At the point you charge for a print, it would no longer be a hobby. Have the magazines been paying you?

Thanks everyone. The shots of B.B. King are digital, and I ended up coming up with some pricing based on how much it would cost me to get the prints made and marking it up from there (incidentally, 8x10 works out at around $25).

Sadly, the magazines (online-only, I should have mentioned) don't pay for the photos unless they get the highest web traffic for the month - I only get paid for band interviews (I'm a writer, too) but it seems that most publications don't want to pay for photos. Kind of a reason this is a hobby instead of a career.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back