Charging, rates, payment, releases?

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just starting to take in clients for headshots and fashion, I think I've got good rates nailed down, but I'm concerned about payment and releases.

A. Do you accept payment BEFORE you shoot or AFTER? A deposit?
B. For fashion and headshot clients, should a release be involved? If so, what kind?

When I was designing websites, I got ripped off a lot. Mostly due to my inexperience - and at the time, there weren't a lot of places to get advice from working professionals. I'm hoping to avoid wasting time and getting burned in my photography career.

I apologize as I'm SURE this has been covered, but I hope to get some good advice - TPF users are great about that.

Thanks!

I currently require all of the session fee at the end of our session. But, I'm thinking about switching it to them paying me upfront to hold their date and also so I can send them all of the model releases and maybe come up with a contract to send to them so they can send it back to me before the session.

I'm just starting to take in clients for headshots and fashion, I think I've got good rates nailed down, but I'm concerned about payment and releases.

A. Do you accept payment BEFORE you shoot or AFTER? A deposit?
B. For fashion and headshot clients, should a release be involved? If so, what kind?

When I was designing websites, I got ripped off a lot. Mostly due to my inexperience - and at the time, there weren't a lot of places to get advice from working professionals. I'm hoping to avoid wasting time and getting burned in my photography career.

I apologize as I'm SURE this has been covered, but I hope to get some good advice - TPF users are great about that.

Thanks!

Payment before... always. Retainer... not deposit. Yes - a release will need to be involved so that all parties know what usage has been paid for. I don't do a lot of model/headshot work but tons of portraits. PM me if you'd like a copy of my forms.

Most reactions

Back