Cheap 400mm prime or teleconverter?

Since you have a non-CPU compatible d7000, I'd suggest a nikon 300mm f4.5 if ais Ed lens. The optics are outstanding, WAY better then your zoom, and just as good at f4.5 as the $5000+ 300mm f2.8! These lenses sell for around $300-350, the older non-Ed/if version is cheaper and also a great lens.These lenses can be paired with the tc-301 2x teleconverter which is specially made for 300mm+ primes. This will give you a 600mm f9 lens that is very sharp.Keep in mind though that atmospheric conditions have to be just right to get tack-sharp photos of the moon.

Since you have a non-CPU compatible d7000, I'd suggest a nikon 300mm f4.5 if ais Ed lens. The optics are outstanding, WAY better then your zoom, and just as good at f4.5 as the $5000+ 300mm f2.8! These lenses sell for around $300-350, the older non-Ed/if version is cheaper and also a great lens.These lenses can be paired with the tc-301 2x teleconverter which is specially made for 300mm+ primes. This will give you a 600mm f9 lens that is very sharp.Keep in mind though that atmospheric conditions have to be just right to get tack-sharp photos of the moon.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is tempting but it seems that the lens runs at least $300 and the converter runs at least $150 which would put me at $450 or more. If I find I consistently need a 300mm+ focal length with better quality then my current lense I may go this rout but for my needs at the moment I am not willing to spend that much.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is tempting but it seems that the lens runs at least $300 and the converter runs at least $150 which would put me at $450 or more. If I find I consistently need a 300mm+ focal length with better quality then my current lense I may go this rout but for my needs at the moment I am not willing to spend that much.

The one suggested by me (400/6.3) or by Derrel (500/8, same optical schema) can be had for 119$ new, much less used, plus 15$ converter. If you aim at moon, it's worth a try (look again at my picture of the moon).

Most reactions

Back