Cheap 500mm options, best of the worst

I would look at
  • Tamron 500/8 SP. I think this is an Adapt-All mount, so you also need to find a Nikon Adapt-All mount..........

• If you decide that this is a viable choice for you, I have one that I haven’t used since buying my 500 f4p. Could be yours for well under your target price.

Erie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have a 500mm manual everything I bought leaving Saigon (in a hurry) in the early 70's with a Pentax k-mount. It worked well enough with film, but is much more useful with digital. This is an ambush lens, not a stalker, as I have to use a tripod, and have time to pre-focus and take a test shot or two. Set-up is easy, wide open, shutter 1/500 or faster and let ISO float as necessary. Pre-focus on something near where your subject will be (usually infinity or very close) and wait for the subject. Results are quite good, and I can crop up to maybe 20% in good light. Long distance photos are degraded more by haze and smoke than by lens problems. I bought a used MACRO lens from EBAY once and the pawn shop threw in one of these, but 10 years newer, for free. Took it apart to clean and was surprised at how little glass it contained. Reassembled, it also works just fine. If you buy used condition (haze and fungus might be an issue) but age is not a factor. I've looked at brand new versions and the do not appear to have changed is design or manufacturing in 45 years.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back