Cheap compact camera to take to Brasil

Gnc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all I'm going in a 3 weak vacation to Brasil and I don't want to take my Dslr with me but still want to take photos from all magnificent places.. What cheap compact u recommend? Tks to all in advance

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk

Hi all I'm going in a 3 weak vacation to Brasil and I don't want to take my Dslr with me but still want to take photos from all magnificent places.. What cheap compact u recommend? Tks to all in advance

Guess it depends on how cheap and how compact your looking for, if it were me I'd probably look at a bridge camera of some sort, they are lightweight and portable and will give you better results than a Point and Shoot. When I used bridge cameras I was a fan of the Panasonic FZ-200, but of course like all bridge cameras they really don't work all that well in low light because of the small sensor size.

My purpose of the cam being a compact is not to draw much attention to me.. Brasil is known for assaults if they spot a tourist with much bling bling.. So I don't take my camera with me.. :( love my prime lens in my Dslr.. But I still want some good picks with a small camera is it possible?

My purpose of the cam being a compact is not to draw much attention to me.. Brasil is known for assaults if they spot a tourist with much bling bling.. So I don't take my camera with me.. :( love my prime lens in my Dslr.. But I still want some good picks with a small camera is it possible?

Well I doubt a bridge camera would attract much attention, they are bigger than a point and shoot but a lot smaller than your average DSLR - if nothing else take a look maybe on Ebay and see if you can get something used, they take better pictures than most point and shoots but of course not as good as a DSLR.

These is an old Russian saying: "If you fear the wolves, you will never see the forest". So take your DSLR with you. You will regret not to. Seriously. What an opportunity missed. Just be careful. A friend of mine moved to Brasil three years ago and used his old DSLR a lot there and he was travelling a lot to various parts of the country. No problems. He has recently upgraded to a brand new D7100 and looking for a tele. So I guess it is not that bad.

If you're really worried about muggings, I'd suggest something like the Canon 500 (not 500D!), i.e. film camera. It's worth $30, and especially if you get a silver one, it's obviously different and vintage looking from a distance. It can still do autofocus and metering and everything, just no LCD preview is all.

Slap on a short, nondescript lens on the front (kit lens, or one of the ones thats a step up from a kit lens, or short primes.
And then try to avoid carrying a photo bag at all. The short lenses can just fit in your pockets instead. Makes you look much less hardcore and professional.

Nobody in their right mind would bother you for that stuff. Yet even though a 500 body + a 50 1.8 lens for instance only adds up to like $150, it can still take BETTER photos than an $1500 crop frame DSLR with a 24-70 2.8 on it, if you know what you're doing

I use a Canon S95. It's an older model so you can probably get it pretty cheap. It shoots in RAW as well as Jpeg and has mnaual settings as well as auto. You can get a small case and wear it on your belt under your jacket. You'll always have it with you and it won't be seen until you need to use it.

That canon is film and I don't want to carry film or develop it.. But a good advice canon s 95 can't find it used here in Portugal :-(

That s95 costs 250euros still expensive for what I want

250 euros is too much????

You have very few options then if you won't consider film. Basically, you pretty much have to get a mediocre automatic point and shoot. The S95/100/etc. he mentioned above are about as low as it gets while still having any good control of the exposure triangle.

Gavjenks yes 250 euros is too much for a dispensable camera.. Just want a good cheap cam that I can be robbed and don't cry.. Lol will be doing allot of road by car and I don't want to call to much attention..

I recent took a trip to the Caribbean and had the same problem. I didn't want to take the D800 and have to worry about it. I took my old D40X and my older 18-135mm and 70-300mm lenses with me. I also took my Canon Powershot and a fuji underwater P&S. Maybe you could look for an older DSLR that fits your lenses since you are already willing to compromise on quality going with a compact. The Canon takes pretty good pictures too. I usually keep it handy when the longer lens is on the DSLR and I need a wider angle but don't want to keep swapping lenses every other shot.

What canon do u have.? I'm thinking in olympus pen epl 1 + 14-42 lens for 170euros is it worth it? Can I get better for that buck?

Olympus EPL1 with kit lens, Panasonic 14mm 2.5 (lente micro 4/3), adaptor m39/M4/3 with industar 69 e jupiter 8, 2 bateries and 2 chargers
180 euros?
What u think good deal?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back