Cheap FILM SLR

Why don't y'all just let him do with his money what he wants, and contribute helpful information if you have it?
Well, he did ask us for our insight, didn't he? I'd say that all of the information presented so far has been useful.

What I'd like to know, and if it's been addressed, I missed it - is this a long term thing, or just pertaining to these three rolls you found? What happens after those three rolls? The answer to that question probably matters... At least in whether you get the cheapest camera you can find, or a good camera (those will most likely be different cameras).

Last edited:
While yes, getting a film SLR for 3 expired rolls seems a bit nuts, maybe it's giving him the push to try a 35mm SLR.

I have an Olympus OM-1n. It's fantastic. The standard OM-1 MD cameras can be found on your local Craigslist (I assume) for under $50. You never know-you may luck out and find an OM-1n for that cheap. But if you have a DSLR with a legacy lens series (read: Canikon/Sony), I'd try to stick with that brand.

I shot a roll of expired color film through a Maxxum 7000. Looked horrible. 7 photos came out and they were all awful. Camera works though-next roll was fine.

While yes, getting a film SLR for 3 expired rolls seems a bit nuts, maybe it's giving him the push to try a 35mm SLR.
And maybe seeing the results of 15 year old, badly stored film will turn him away forever, lol.

I get what you're saying - get him using film, that's good. But get him using fresh film. Once you know what is possible, THEN you start to experiment with the out of date stuff.

And I see your point as well. Film isn't that expensive for fairly basic stuff. Kodak Profoto XL 100 definitely doesn't leave any doubt that it's film once developed, and is pretty cheap ($4 a roll I think). Basic old Fuji 400 should be available at a convenience store (Walgreens) for $7/4 rolls or so. If you wanna get something a bit better, I think Ektar is around $7 per roll at one of our local camera stores.

I was kind of wondering if anyone was gonna bring up the 'film is 15 years old therefore it's probably no good' angle. Probably best just to ditch it I think.

Get an inexpensive SLR, and some new film.

If you really want to use the old stuff, get a developing tank and use the old stuff to practice loading the reels, then start processing the negatives yourself!

I was kind of wondering if anyone was gonna bring up the 'film is 15 years old therefore it's probably no good' angle. Probably best just to ditch it I think.
You'll be able to get pictures with it, but they probably will look a little 'odd'. Some people like that - you could sell it on ebay if you don't want it.

And maybe seeing the results of 15 year old, badly stored film will turn him away forever, lol.

I get what you're saying - get him using film, that's good. But get him using fresh film. Once you know what is possible, THEN you start to experiment with the out of date stuff.

How about 13 years out of date and found on top of my wardrobe, Ektar 100 I'm sure he will be depressed with the results

Leica M4 testing Jupiter8 50F2
Scan-130608-0006-XL.jpg

Scan-130607-0006-XL.jpg

Scan-130607-0008-XL.jpg

How about 13 years out of date and found on top of my wardrobe, Ektar 100 I'm sure he will be depressed with the results
LOL. So dramatic.

Like I said - some people like expired film, you're one of them. I don't have anything against it, it's just not what I would use to introduce someone to film.

OP - The thing with expired film is that there's no real way to find out if it's no good or not without shooting it. So some 15-year-old film might get some interesting results and some might give you nothing. You'll only find out by shooting it, so go ahead and get a camera.

Just think about whether or not you're going to then use that film camera for anything else. If you're not, then give the film away or sell it to someone who will use it, or toss it. I mean, if you have enough disposable income to throw $50 bucks at a camera you are going to use only three times, then knock yourself out. Might make more sense, though, to only buy it if you are going to use it more often. If you think you might be interested in shooting more fresh film, then get yourself a basic SLR (see all the suggestions for such above) and just start shooting! :)

What better way to start a fun adventure into photography. I can think of worse ways to blow $50. Get the first camera you can find that makes you happy. Take the pics, have them developed at a local camera shop, try to avoid the temptation to use walgreens if you can. Then you can decide if you enjoyed the process and eitehr get more old film/ some new film, and wear out that camera. Still having a good time, upgrade or just get another cheap camera.

If you get into Canon EOS your lens will be useful on a digital full frame canon equipment. They are more expensive because of this.

Find an old Sears SLR (there are 3 at a local thrift shop here for less than $20 with a lens!)

You will find out what you like and dont like about whatever you end up using. Dont worry about getting the perfect camera at this point in time, there will be plenty of opportunities for that.

But, if you want my favorite SLR for starting up, Nikon FE with an E series lens. get an ugly one that works. Buying a camera in the beginning of the semester can be a bit more expensive.

Most reactions

Back